The children had a wonderful Welcome Home. As we drove in, they were all waiting outside lined up. They had a nice turkey dinner all ready.
On September 29, we went with Phyllis' family to Lagoon and down to Carolyn's overnight. On October 8th, we went to an Amway rally with Kris and Jim, and ran onto Elder Manning on the street and had a fun chat. We drove over to Twin Falls to Tracy Reeds welcome home.
Kristen and Jim got a cute apartment in Idaho Falls, and she had told us before she is expecting a baby in April.
RRRLDS MISSION ‑ WELCOME HOMERRR
On October 14th, Dad and I spoke at David's baptism. The next day was our meeting at Sacrament Meeting. We both spoke. Walt and Leona, Bernice's family, and Wallace and Verla and our children all came to dinner. Walt and Leona stayed overnight.
Gerda came back to live on October 17th. I was called to be on the Homemaking committee.
Maurice and the children bought me a beautiful occasional table for the vestibule for my birthday. We attended Phyllis' Ward Melodrama as Rick directed it and all the children took part.
I worked at the Costume Shop on Fridays and Saturdays and extra days at Halloween. I demonstrated soup making at R.S. in November. Maurice and I told about being missionaries for Primary Sharing time.
In November, we went with Walt and Leona to Capitol Reef Monument, stayed in a motel overnight. We had a nice time with them.
I was attending the temple often and the bishop asked us to do 8 endowments a week, then later released us as he could see it was too many. Maurice started in November to make benches for each of the children for Christmas. We were invited to speak about our mission in the Preston Ward.
B All the family except Dale's came for Thanksgiving including Gerda and Bryan's mother, Laura. Then we all went to the Parade of Lights at Idaho Falls. I wrote in my journal that it was a lovely peaceful day. Maurice helped me much, as he always does. Carolyn's family stayed several days and Von helped Maurice decorate the gazebo with lights and a tree.
We attended Kristen's Stake Christmas concert as she sang in a chorus in Idaho Falls.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
I crocheted about 50 bells and some snowflakes for Zola, starched and pinned out a dozen doilies and table cloths for Lucille Bateman and bound a quilt for Sherrie Martineau.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
This year we had each family to dinner, told the "Polar Express" story, "the bell still rings for those who believe," and gave each one a bell necklace. Gerda's bell didn't ring.
Gerda went to Louise's for the holidays. I had the DUP here for December. I sang with a sextet at the Ward Party on December 22. We went to Carolyn's to take their bench. Dale's family wasthere. Maurice and I prepared a dinner for all of them. We returned home on the 22nd and in the evening, the children all came and presented a program.
On Christmas Eve Day, Maurice gave a talk at church. In the evening we put the benches in the truck and "snuck" them to Maureen's, Phyllis', and Kristen's houses ‑left them each outside.
Kris and Jim came and stayed all night. We had a lovely Christmas day ‑visited all the children's homes.
On December 27th, Carolyn, Mary, and Kanda came and brought Dale's family. Carolyn had the cousin's party here. On December 31, I gave the "Joy of Music" lesson in R.S. Then we all went up to Phyllis, for the NewYyear Party.
1990
On January 1, we took Dale's family back to Salt Lake where they'll leave for Maryland. It was hard again to say goodbye.
I went Monday and Friday mornings to take care of Geneal's mother. I was working at the Costume Shop on First Street on Thursdays, Friday's and Saturdays. I was on the Ward HomemakingCommittee, and a V.T. I worked every minute possible on afghans, booties, and book marks to sell at M.H. We were called January 10 to be Stake Baptism Coordinators, to set up chairs and accessories, and fill the font.
In January, we took Janie and Michael and Jerda down to Cory and Steffan's Eagle Scout Court of Honor, went on down and had dinner with Walt and Leona.
I went to the temple each Wednesday.
We took Adah and went to Carl's for the Super Bowl game and dinner.
I made the crocheted "heirloom" baby dress for Kristen's baby ‑ in case it is a girl.
On February 4, Maurice and I gave a missionary talk at Stake Conference. We both stood together at the pulpit. It was frightening.
In February, we accompanied Phyllis (Carolyn, Kris, Jim, Maurice and I) to the trial of the man who abused her and molested the children. She didn't have to testify as the judge had already decided 15 years in prison.
I demonstrated soups in the Second and First wards.
On March 5, we went to Lori Stecks welcome home in Murray and on down to Carolyn's and she and Von went with us to Walt and Leona's to take an afghan for them and get a beautiful wall shelf Walt made for us.
On March 20, Phyllis, Kris and I met Carolyn at Crossroads, and had lunch‑ fun!!! Also in March, we got a new bishopric, Steve Lott, Craig Cutler, and Tom Winder.
I sang in the Easter Cantata.
On April 14, Trent was born ‑ wonderful Trent. Carolyn, Von, Maureen, Phyllis, Carl, Laree, Robyn, Heather, all came for little sisters big event. What a nice time for us all!
Mary stayed with us to finish out the school year ‑ one more to catch a school bus and we enjoyed having her.
On April 10th, we took Adah and went to see Aunt Nona. Our old friend, Melba Millar was killed in a car accident. I went a few days to get lunch for Carolyn Rawson's mother, as Carolyn is
working and her mom is bedfast.
D o u g l a s K I r k h a m
On May 11th, Douglas died during heart surgery. It was sad to lose another brother. I'll miss him! Adah and I gave the life sketch.
In June, we took Mary back home and helped paint and paper Carolyn's hallway and living room.
FMISSION REUNIONE
June 8th was our Family Reunion. Carolyn and Von and we were in charge and the theme was Missionary. We met here Friday and had fun for the three days. (More detail in the Family Reunion Book)We painted our gazebo, bridge, and porch. We went to "Blackfoot Pride" days with Maureen's family.
||__{{||_____ ___||{{__||
We planted 560 plants ‑ petunias, marigolds, asters, nicotiana, daisies, flox, gladiolus, geraniums. Gerda took us occasionally for dinner at Norths. Father's day, we went down to hear Robyn play his favorite, "Warsaw Concerto" her gift to him.
Gerda would have scary times when she thought she was going to die, but we just comforted as best we could, and called Bernice.
Maureen was attending classes at ISU and Idaho Falls for her teaching degree.
On June 21, Phyllis had her tonsils removed ‑ she was sick but recovered O.K.
Occasionally we could sit outside in the evenings and I loved the sounds ‑ birds, irrigation sprinklers, traffic sounds in town, neighbors children.
On June 24, we went to Idaho Falls to hear Kristen sing a solo at Brian Nelson's farewell. We then attended church in First Ward where I spoke along with Carl ‑ his High Council visit ‑ about missionary work.
Laree's mother passed away that evening, Carolyn & Mary came to the funeral on Tuesday. Carl conducted it in her Blackfoot Ward and did very well and the little children sang.
On June 30th, I worked at the cleaners and Maurice went up to Treasure Mountain Scout Camp to see Damian graduate from Cedar Badge. At that time, I was selling booties, plastic canvas bags, book marks, afghans, at MH.
____ How Great Thou Art ____
Lamar Christensen had heard Verla and me sing "How Great Thou Art" at a funeral and jokingly requested we sing at his. He died this July and the family did request it, although they never knew of the incident. We've sung it at so many funerals, we call it "Our Song."
On July 4th, we all went to the Idaho Falls Parade and came home and cooked bacon, eggs, potatoes, our old favorite outdoor meal.
1890‑1990 Idaho's Centennial Year ‑ so the parade was extra good and other programs were going on. Fireworks at Phyllis.
We went camping at Wolverine with Maureen's and Phyllis family. I loved to see the children doing things together.
In July we went by way of Clarkston to Carolyn's so Maurice could build a lattice wall on their patio. It turned out nice and they were pleased.
At the Costume Shop, I made several sailor blouses for "The Music Man" production.
We had a savings account (our first year) with my hand work money. Our Kirkham reunion was held at Pillsbury Park with 54 attending. Adah and I went on Mondays and Tuesdays during the
summer to help children read.
We had a surprise dinner party for Gerda with Wallace, Verla, Bing, Bernice, then she went to stay with Louise for a month. Heather came to stay for a month in our "garden" room downstairs.
Poor Phyllis broke her wrist doing wall paper.
Edwin Johnson
On August 12, we got word that Edwin had died in Mexico. Maurice and Verla to be co‑executors of his will, which said his living brothers and sisters would inherit his investments in U.S. That was very exciting. On August 14 we took Kristen and Trent and took Adah to Karleens in West Jordan. We had car trouble in West Jordan and had to take it to a garage. Von took us down to Walt's to talk for a few minutes. On August 19, Verla, Carol and I sang "Oh That I Were An Angel" in Church. Maurice put new gray and black lattice shutters on our windows ‑ it looks very nicE.
On September 17, we went by plane Q to Dale's in Maryland. Steffan was there also for the summer. On the 19th, we went to the Goddard‑ Nasa Space Museum(the receptionist said "Do lots of people tell you, you look like Barbara Bush?"(Yes, they do). (CJC‑NOTE: And a few years about it was Barbara Smith she looked like.) We watched Allen and Kristy play Soccer. One evening we went with Dale up to Baltimore where he gave a talk to Scouters. On the 20th, Dale had an Ag Seminar at East Shore (Denton) across Chesapeake Bay. Allen and we walked around the little town, shops, etc. and let Allen play at a park. On the 21st, we went to Pennsylvania to the Amish fall Festival, and the Strasburg Train Museum. We slept at a campground (us in the van) at French Creek.
It rained all night. Those in the tent got wet! On the 22nd, we went to Hopewell Terrace Museum. On the 23rd, we went to Valley Forge and on to Philadelphia Square, The liberty Bell Museum. When Dale went to get the van, he discovered it had been broken into. They stole my wallet with $90.00, LeAnn's makeup case, and the children's back‑packs and toys It was upsetting, but we didn't let it spoil our trip. We went to Turkey Point on Chesapeake Bay and cooked hamburgers and the sunset was gorgeous. It was a wonderful trip. Maurice and I walked several blocks to where Steffan was working at 7‑ll. We spent an evening watching "Driving Miss Daisy"and "Always."
LeAnn was attending school classes some days and working for her Doctorate. We went sometimes, tended children, then to other sites ‑Brookline Gardens and observatory and ate lunch. On the 27th, we went to the US Mint, had "chuckie Fried Chicken" (Kristie). We also went to the National Arboretum. On the 29th we went to Clara Barton home and rode on the old C & O canal on a barge pulled by mules. We attended church meetings. LeAnn spoke on Education. We heard much praise for Dale and LeAnn. Maurice and I cooked the dinner and LeAnn and I had fun making "Baked Alaska."
While I was there, I was crocheting 30 pair of booties for the Young Women project in our ward.
On October 1, LeAnn took us and Steffan to Baltimore to the Naval museum, toured a submarine. At home we walked to a shop and got wind chimes for Dale and LeAnn.
On October 2, they gave us birthday gifts ‑ an Idaho Centennial belt buckle and a garden plaque.
R { R { R { R { R
"The kiss of sun for pardon,
The song of birds for mirth.
One is nearer to God in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth."
R { R { R { R { R
LeAnn then took us to the Washington airport to come home.
Carl's, Phyllis', and Kris' families were all lined up at the airport with flagsPPP as if we'd been gone for a long time. What fun! The children are always so good to us.
Edwin's cremation ashes were awaiting at home. We had Nalders put them in a nice cedar box and we had a graveside service. Carl conducted, Maurice talked, and Verla and I sang. Wallace and Walter prayed. All relatives from close to here attended.
Kristen had now moved by us in Ivan's home across the road and a little east.
''''' ''''' '''''
On December 19, 1990 Kristen and Jim invited us to a candlelight dinner for our 49th anniversary. It was elegant!
Dale's family came for a couple of days before and went to Salt Lake for Christmas. Carl's and Kristen's family came for Christmas Eve. We had stories and treats. Adorable Trent was in his new red pajamas and Santa Hat. Gerda was with us also. (This year we had the progressive dinner.) Maurice was getting up nights to run the car, as it was so cold. We took breakfast over to Kristens then they came back over here.
I crocheted 30 more pair of booties for 7th Ward Young Women. Shayne returned from his mission. Kristen and I sang at his Sacrament meeting. He gave a wonderful talk.
We all spent New Years Eve at Carl's in town and Dale brough Allen and Kristie and surprised us. In 1990 we had 87 baptisms. I have had 100% V.T. for 16 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment