Thursday, June 9, 2011

DORIS - 1992

1992
     Michael and Janie went home to N.D. on the bus. Dale went on January 4th for Poland for six months for the U.S.D.A.
     I was still the R.S. Chorister, V.T. and Baptism Coordinator, No. Bingham DUP Company President, Camp Captain, giving piano lessons to Michael and Mary Anderson, singing occasionally with Verla at church and funerals, working Saturdays at Finer Cleaners.  I worried always about the upcoming five County DUP Convention in June.   
          LeAnn and Dale had given me 5 new photo albums so I rearranged all of our old photos. 
     Our home teachers were Alan Ashton and Glen Martineau.  Trent was at that cute state of innocence and cleverness.  He'd kiss the furniture and walls goodbye.  She told him "Get out of my fridge" and he pretended to double up with laughter and stomp his foot.

     In January it was like Spring and we were raking leaves that had been snowed upon in early Fall.  I was visiting all six Camps when I could.  Becky Martineau invited me to school for "Grandmother" Day.  We enjoyed the Winter Olympics on T.V.- Albertville.

Adah and I worked at the church cannery doing 4750 cans vegetable soup.  It was my job to stir each can of vegetable and broth together. 
     Our dear Salome passed away in Ohio.
     On February 22, Maurice, Kris, Trent, and I went to Sandy to attend Carolyn's Stake Women Conference with her.  We also visited Walt and Leona.

    The ward rallied around and helped the Mauseth's, whose house burned- the old Eaten Maternity Home- where Maureen, Carl, Phyllis and Dale were born.  They were to eventually get it restored.
     On March 7, Adah and I went with the single's to Ricks College to see the Polish Dancers.  On the 16th, I gave a talk at the R.S. Sesquicentennial party.  On the 14th, Maurice and I, Stan and Joan, Bill and Jean, Bob and Deona went to Adah's to dinner.

     March 20th, we had our first Make-It-Take-It Craft Day.  Carolyn, Maureen, Phyllis, Kris and me and grand daughters met at our home and worked on crafts down in the sitting room then we all went to Floss Morris' home for a tour (the old Second Ward Church.)
     On April 1, I started working at Helen's new Costume shop out of Idaho Falls First Street.  The little check I get each week from her and Mormon Handicraft are fun and necessary. 
     March 3, we had Gaird and Derrick and Trent here while their parents were gone for the weekend.  I visited a DUP Camp each month.  I made lace curtains for the blue room.  On April 23, I conducted the Company DUP Convention at Goshen.  I felt good about it, the sack lunches and "left-right" game went over well.
          April 24, Carolyn's and Carl's families came and we spent Easter together, going on Saturday to the lavas.  On Sunday, Chris was ordained at our church.

     On April 29, I fixed a picnic and took Adah out to the lavas.  We ate and went on the hike.  It was an enjoyable last time together as she was to move to West Jordan in a week. I had her and Jerry and Mardi and Kirk and Marilyn to dinner while they helped her move. 
Goodbye, Adah
A light went out of my life, again, when she left - not to have her companionship here anymore!  We've always been close - never having a disagreement, but always fun and learning together.
     In May, I took Margaret Bolander down to the Goshen DUP monument dedication. 
     In our garden we planted 456 plants, some given to us.
     Petunias           84        Allysium          12
Snap Dragons       36        Lobelia            6
Impatients         30        Dusty Miller      10
Diantha            12        Skyrocket          1
Rinoculus           1        Daisies            5
Forget me Not     1         Primrose           5
Nicotiana          24        Asters            18
Moss Rose          12        Geraniums         18
Buttercup           1        Silver Mound       1
Poppies            24        Dahlia             2
Rock Garden Pl.     4        Marigolds         18
Mums               20        Salvia             6
Strawberries       40        Rasberrries       16
Hosta               1        Begonias           8
Pansies            24        Anchusa            3  
  On May 16, Maureen graduated with honors at ISU.  We attended with her family and we were proud of her.
     I was replaced as Captain at a regular DUP Camp meeting and election; and I then became the lesson leader.
   In May 25, Dale returned from Poland to get LeAnn and the children and go back with him till Christmas. 
              Maureen
Rickell
Heather
 On May 27th, we attended cute Heather's graduation.  On the 28th, we attended Elmer Busta's funeral. Kris had a luncheon party for Maureen, Heather and Rickell's graduation and had all the granddaughters and Moms.
     On June 2, attended cute Rickell's graduation.  I made a "split log" fence border for our garden from wood Adah gave us.  On June 6th, (after breaking his leg on Carolyn's trampoline a few weeks before), Trent got his cast off. 

On the 12th was the big DUP five company convention  I had worried about it for a year, having to be in charge of it all.  Maurice gave me a blessing and I felt it all turned out really well with the sunbonnet theme.  Maureen led the singing.  154 attended.
     On June 14, we left for Grand Forks and stayed at Dickenson overnight.  On June 16, we went to see the High towers and to the Air Force Base. We had a wonderful few days there.  David returned home with us. 
     On June 21, Carolyn, Mary and Kanda came for Father's day.  We all went to the zoo on Saturday and took a picnic.  On the 27th, Maurice and Carolyn went to Scout Camp to see Damian selected Cedar Badge Board Chairman - a great honor.  I had to work at the Cleaners
     Kanda stayed for a week and she and David had fun together.  On June 30, Maurice and I took part as angels in the Ward YM and YW Activity.
Carolyn's family all came for July 4th.  We went to the parade, then to Phyllis' for a cookout and for fireworks.

     I went on Mondays to the City Library to read to children.  The Pioneer editor came and viewed our yard for a picture and write-up.  David's N.D. Bishop Swenson came through, and David went back home with them.  He's such a pleasant boy and good worker. July 16, we decided to go to Carolyns.  We visited Walt and Leona in Orem, and picked up Adah in West Jordan and she, Carolyn, and us went down to Camp Floyd, Fairmont, and Cedar Point.
     In the Fall, I started tutoring Mike Cutler for two hours a week.  He is 41 and cannot read. 
     On September 3, Karleen had invited us to come down to WJ for a surprise party for Adah's 80th birthday.  We went and took Kristen, although her baby was due in 2 weeks.  Carolyn and Von had a nice turkey dinner.  Adah's party was nice with us, Karleen's family and Adah's granddaughters and Bill, Jean, and Delynn and Kathy.
     In the night, Kristen decided she was really starting labor, so we quickly left to come home. She felt she had to be with Jim and her own doctor (and we did too).  It was a nerve wracking ride home, saying a silent prayer all the way.  Carolyn and Mary hurriedly drove up and arrived just after cute Nick was born.
     In September, Rick,Phyllis, Jerda, Rickell, Gaird came and took us for a ride to Palisades, Gray's Lake and Caribou Forest.  We had a lovely, enjoyable time. 
     We redecorated the bedroom downstairs in green and orchid colors.  Kris helped "design" and it turned out lovely with Maurice's lattice wall and the big bedspread on the king size bed.
     On October 1, we went to Sandy and Carolyn and Von took us to the Desert Star Theater melodrama and olios for our Birthdays.  Also, in October we had our Make It Take It and the adults went for sub sandwiches and came back for cherry pie.
     The children all bought Maurice a second hearing aid for this birthday, 71st.
     At the Costume Shop, I made witches dress, nuns costumes, elves, skirts, slips.  It was a busy time with many customers. On my birthday, all the children came to see me.  Bill and Jean came to Shelley so I invited Bob, Deona, Stan and Joan for pie and ice cream. 
     In November President Clinton was elected.  I was now RS Inservice Leader. On November 4th, Cheryl Cutler invited me, Ann Winder, Carol Farnes, and Evelyn Schaal for a luncheon.
  __  THE __ FORGOTTEN__ CAROLS __
     Phyllis and Rick took us and Kris and Jim to the Michael McClean concert, "The Forgotten Carols."
     Bill and Jean went to England on a mission.  Mama would be proud of them, and Stan and Joan at the Temple constantly to supervise baptisms and  Adah and I both missionaries.
     We were so excited to learn that Carl and Family would come for Christmas, and Dale's family also from Poland.
          On November 25, Phyllis', Kristen's family and Maurice and I went to Sandy for Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time.  The next day I took the "Twelve Days of Christmas" articles to Karleen so she could give them to Adah for Christmas.  It was fun preparing each bag.  We all went to the Desert Star Christmas Melodrama.
     Geneal went on a mission to Salt Lake to the Family History Center for six months.  We canceled our DUP Company Christmas Party because of bad weather.  The Camp DUP party was held here and I had a luncheon and gave the lesson and gave each a gift.
     On December 19, it was so fun to get the house clean and ready for Carolyn's family from Sandy, Carl's from North Dakota, and Dale's from Poland to be here for Christmas.
All six children and spouses and Maurice and I went to Mountain River Ranch for a sleigh ride through the woods and steak dinner.  The "snoot-boots" I made caused fun and our group was honestly the hit of the evening with the big crowd.  We won the singing contest.  Phyllis put on a show with the MC and it was our 51st Anniversary, so we had to dance.  Well, it was a touch of heaven to have so much good fun.
     On December 23, we all went to the Morris home(old 2nd ward church) for the family party.  Each family presented a number and we had good food.  Kristen did great, planning it.  Each family opened a bag of treasures brought from Poland, prepared by LeAnn.  Christmas Eve, we had stories and music with Dale's, and Carl's'  families. Santa (Rick) came and surprised the children.  On Christmas morning, we got up at five and went over to see Trent get his Santa gifts.  He did a special thing.  Before he opened his gifts, he ran to see if Santa had drank the milk and eaten the cookies he'd left for him.  What a precious moment!  The next day, Kristen hosted the Cousin's party in the morning, when they exchanged gifts, and then Dale's family left sadly for Maryland.
 This is the year we had fun with the "Precious Moments" coloring book.  It unexpectedly turned into a competition and there Dale and Carl were arguing over whose page was best, as did all the others. It's now one of my Christmas treasures.  We spent New Years Eve at Maureens.

 It was one of the saddest times, to have them all go home, and the holidays behind us.  I shed tears as I packed all the memorable things into boxes to be put in the attic, hoping that we'll be together for another Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment