1988
On January 4th, Maurice met with Federal Land Bank attorney about leasing the house to us, and selling the other property. Kristen left for Rexburg, leaving us sad, thinking she may not live in this house again, if she and Jim get married when he comes home. She got a job at the College Beauty Salon in the Student Union Bldg.
On February 1, we went to Carolyn's to paint and paper her bedroom. We and Carolyn and Von went down to Orem and took Walt and Leona for a sandwich, and saw their new home. On February 5, we had Maureen, Bryan, Phyllis, Rick, Carl, Laree and Kris for a pizza party and watched old home movies.(slides)
On February 7, all came for Home Evening and the children
decorated cookies for Valentine's Day.
At this time, we all worried about Robyn who was being treated for depression, which it seems like she's always had. On February 18, our property, farm, and home were auctioned to Fed Land Bank and we just hoped they'd let us buy the home.
Maureen brought the children and honored me as a Grandma, waved banners and blew whistles. What fun.!
In March, Maurice met with Federal Land Bank. They will, will the house to Merrill Blake, and we'll pay him $200.00 a month (rent) which will go to purchase it eventually for $20,000.00. We thought it was worth $50,000.00.
I'm now going each morning to help Geneals mother on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I get about $80.00 a month. I added 2 Martineaus for piano lessons. Adah went in March to California for six weeks. Maurice built a back fence to border our yard.
I was in charge of the R.S. Anniversary dinner. We have Home Evening every Fast Sunday, still, with the children taking turns with lessons.
On March 25, Jim returned from his Japan mission. We all went with Kris to meet him at the airport. Carl and Laree had us all to an Easter Party. Kanda came for a week, then Carolyn's family all came for Chris' baptism. I gave him an afghan, as I do for all the baptism kids. All the family came for dinner Saturday.
On April 21, we were invited with Mark and Valerie to North's when Jim announced he and Kristen wanted to get married. So of course we all consented, thinking he'll be a good husband and father. Our baby was to get married !!!
On April 23, at the County DUP Convention, I gave the camp report as Captain. Adah was gone. I hosted our April Camp meeting at our home. Walt and Leona came up for the weekend.
On May 2, Kristen Maureen, Phyllis, and I met Carolyn, Kanda, and Mary at Crossroads (Utah) had lunch, then went to a country wedding dress rental place. It was a funny, comical time, and we laughed a lot about the messy place, so unorganized. She couldn't find one and I was sad anyway, that we couldn't afford to buy her own. She and the girls decided to make one for her.
I sang with Verla and Carol at the High Priest banquet and a sextet at R.S. We went to dinner at Smitty's with old friends, Gwen and Leonard. We watched Jerda at her acrobatic show and Heather at her school play where she danced and sang. I went to Maureen's pre-school commencement which she held in her home.
In May we got our mission papers from Bishop Huntsman. It was a good time to go so Kris and Jim could live in our house while we were gone. In June, Gerda came again for a month.
On June 7, we went with Carolyn's family to Grand Canyon in the wonderful van, taking Gerda to stay at Walt and Leona's. We stayed the first night in Beaver. Went on to Zion's and Page Arizona. At Cameron, we had huge Navaho tacos. We stayed at the Maswits Lodge. They were so good to us. We saw much of Grand Canyon and drove back to Kanab and Bryce Canyon. Carolyn, Von, the girls and I hiked the Queen's garden trail, down in the Canyon. (Maurice didn't feel good enough.) We ran onto Bob and Deona and laughed cause she said she saw this old gray-haired lady in the distance and thought if she could make it, Deona could to- and it was me! In Fillmore we laughed much at the over-decorated yard done with lava rocks and hundreds of other things. All the children were there except Cory who stayed for a Seeing-Eye Dog Convention. He's completed a course with a German Shepherd.
I crocheted 20 fans for Kris' reception. Maurice made a beautiful gazebo. On June 24, we had our Candid Camera Reunion. Old movies, photo contest. On the 28th, Carl informed us that Idaho Supreme would finance our mission and he and Laree would buy us a used I.S. Company car. We were relieved to be able to take our own mission car. We sent in our mission papers.
Federal Land Bank sold our home and yard for $20,000.00 to Merrill Blake. He'll let us pay $200.00 a month and it will go for payments to buy.
We spent July 4th with Phyllis, Kris and Carl. The parade, steak fry at home and "Sky Concert" fireworks at Phyllis. I demonstrated and helped make wallpaper beads at R.S. Mother- Daughter Party.
Maureen took Adah and me to Marlene Reeds "pioneer" home at Preston. Marlene had made a "party cake" and we watched a history video of the Agnes Just Reid place. An enjoyable afternoon. Adah and I went and took Aunt Nona to dinner. Maurice was making the gazebo and I was crocheting the wedding centerpiece fans.
What a great experience with Phyllis making Kristen's wedding dress, without a pattern. It turned out beautiful, in spite of Phyllis accidently cutting a slit up the back. It only made it more precious and furnished laughs and memories.
Gerda is still with us.
On July 24, we received our Peoria, Illinois Mission Call. It was a fun day calling family and friends. We picked it up at the post office and Kristen and Carl's family came to be with us to open it.
Jeanie McCabe had a bridal shower for Kris and she had one for Jeanie. Adah and Karleen also had a shower for her.
Von's mother died at this time and they came up here on July 30. On July 30th we hosted the Kirkham Family Reunion. I had requested each brother and Adah to write memories of each family home in Shelley. I compiled each into a booklet and we all drove around to see each and read the memories. 50 attended. We also had a memory skit from each family. Dale and LeAnn came on August 2. All six children and we were at the temple with Kristen and Jim to get her endowments.
Laree had a shower for Kristen on August 3, with 25 people. Dale, Von, Kris, Jim hiked up to Tablerock. There was a representative from each family on that hike.
August 5 was Kristen's wedding day. All of her brothers and sisters were at the temple. What a blessing! Kris looked beautiful. The sealer called on me to speak for minute. We went to the dinner given by Mark and Valerie at their chapel. Saturday, the 6th, was their Reception Day. The wind blew all day and made us worried about having the reception in our yard. We all prayed and it calmed down enough. They looked wonderful standing in the gazebo, the men in black tuxedos on one side and the girls in black, white, and peach on the other. Decorated crocheted fans were the centerpieces and in the bridesmaids flowers, as well as Kristen's bouquet. What a nice occasion!
But I was so sad to have Dale and all leave, and Kristen married. Where had all the years gone - our baby married! Gerda came back from staying at Wallace's for three days.
Carl and Laree gave us a new maroon car to take on our mission. We drove it down to Carolyn's to get Janie and Jerda who had been there since Sunday. We drove out to Prometory Point.
On August 12, we took Kris and Jim and David and Chris and went up to Wolverine and ha supper with Maureen's family. One day Maureen and family took us down on the Blackfoot Riverbank for a picnic. We went on August 17 to Lagoon with Phyllis and family and Kris and Jim.
Kris and Jim stayed with us until our mission and lived in our house while we were gone the year.
August 20, Maurice spoke in Stake Conference on "How to Love as the Savior Loves."
Adah, Geneal, Doug, Stan, Joan took Maurice and me to dinner at Cathays. I demonstrated pancakes at the Ward Tasting Fair on using the storage basics. I had a piano recital for all my students; Heather, Jason, Rob, Randy, David, Alicia, John, and Shanae.
I was pleased about it. Adah and I hosted the August DUP meeting by the DUP monument at the Stake house. At a Home Evening the children used the theme of our mission and did fun things.
Our Sunday Mission Program, Sept 18
Family Prayer: Jim
Sac. Meet. Song: "Because I Have Been Given Much"
Prayer: Rick
Talk: Dale (Read by Von)
Talk: Carl
Song: "I'll Find You My Friend"
Myself, Carolyn, Maureen, Phyllis, Laree, Kristen
Talk: Myself
Talk: Myself
Talk: Maurice
Talk: Bishop Huntsman
Family Song: All of Us
Prayer: Bryan
All the family came for dinner. Kristen arranged a salad bar. The grandchildren sang "Grandma and Grandpa are Going Away On a Mission."
(SEE MISSIONARY JOURNAL
SEPTEMBER 18, 1988- SEPTEMBER 21, 1989)
No comments:
Post a Comment