1983-1984
In January we hadn't been able to sell the potatoes for a good price, so the men had to build fires in the Stolworthy cellar. We went to Logan to see a college basketball game with Dale and LeAnn. Kris marched in the Shelley Drill Team at basketball games.
I continued to teach the Grandmothers class, to be the Meetinghouse Librarian and a visiting teacher.
I continued to go to school to read with the children on Thursdays. The March we were still stressed about the potatoes. We contracted 10,000 sacks for $3.00. The company came into the cellar and worked for awhile, then said they didn't want them, and would charge for the expense of working on them! Well, they didn't get it, but we still had the spuds to worry about. We then heard that company had cheated other farmers also. I had gall bladder surgery in March, and was sick and in lots of pain for several days. Carolyn's family and Von's mother came, and Mary and Michael were baptized together. All the family including Dale and LeAnn from Logan came(except Krissy who was with the Drill Team in Boise). Carolyn and the girls stayed a week longer to visit.
We didn't plant flowers this year. We were out of money and still extremely worried, not having sold the potatoes yet. Maurice came one day and admitted the big cellar of 20,000 sacks of potatoes out to Stolworthys had spoiled, in spite of all the work they had done to keep them warm. Evidently there were to many put in frozen in the Fall to let them last clear through the Winter and Spring. Now, no one would buy them.
On Memorial Day Carl's family, Kris, Maurice and I and Adah decorated the graves then took the kayaks up to Jefferson Lake. Adah and I hiked clear around the lake and we cooked dinner. Damian was baptized this year. I finished the crocheted drapes. In the living room drapes alone, there were 528,378 stitches.
Carolyn and I had worked out a cute pattern for a stuffed fabric cat. I took some to a gift shop and sold them, (though not enough to pay our electric bill- overdue,) and was requested to bring in more of them. I chaperoned the youth (Kris)to the temple for baptisms. On June 16th, we three went down to Sandy to see Carolyn's Stake's production of "Music Man." All their family took part.
We finally sold some of the potatoes for #2.75. They'd cost $3.50 to raise so we lost much. We had then to worry about getting financed again.
At this time, I still visit Mastectomy patients for Reach to Recovery work and work as Ward Librarian. We go to Michael and Damian's soft ball games. In June, I was put in the R.S.Presidency with Cheryl Cutler, Ann Winder, and Carol Farnes. Phyllis is Primary President.
We finally sold our potatoes for 45 cents, and worried whether we could get financing for another year.
Carolyn and children came in July and stayed a couple of weeks. Von came on the bus and they left . Kris and I went camping at Kelley's Canyon for 2 days and nights. Maurice came for one night.
REUNION TIME ONCE MORE
Orla came for a visit in July. Our family reunion was held August 6th at Kelley's Canyon on Friday. Saturday we came home had our big dinner. After we attended church on Sunday, we had the Children's Conference, and a peanut hunt.
August 8th, we held our R.S. Mother/Daughter Party with a fashion show. Kris modeled my first formal, and pioneer dress. One hundred fifty attended and we felt is was really successful. Dale and LeAnn were coming from Logan on weekends to help with farm work. August 22, Carl's family, Dale and LeAnn, Maurice and I took the Kayaks up to Big Springs and floated down to Mack's In. We took lunches to eat in the boats. It was so beautiful and peaceful.
Maureen invited us down for her little family Summer Project Fair. Robyn had won Grand Price in 4-H sewing and $21.00 from the Friend Magazine for articles on great grandparents to be published. We struggled all summer to get bills paid and worried constantly over finances.
Kristen, as costume mistress for the Topperette Drill team, had to choose fabric and styles, and I helped her with that.
I made candlewick wall hangings for all the outgoing R.S. Board members, and we had a luncheon for them.
I had the laser surgery for a detached retina on September 6th. It was frightening, but not too bad. The R.S. brought our dinner and I had to wear and eye patch for awhile.
Laree was told by the doctor to stay in bed the rest of her pregnancy, so I stayed with her and tended the children instead of working in the harvest.
In September, Maurice and I gave a seminar on Emergency Survival at Phyllis' ward in Idaho falls.
In the afternoon, Adah and I went to see Aunt Nona for her 85th birthday.
George Jonathan Johnson
On September 18, Laree had to rush to the hospital because of bleeding. Her baby was taken cesarian at 5 months, still alive. She was so close to loosing her life, we were frantic. We took turns holding the baby until he passed away. Carl and Maurice gave him a name and blessing first, and Carl spoke of his love for him and wishes for him to convey messages to spirits he would soon meet again. He quit breathing after 20 minutes, but his heart continued to beat for another hour. It was really a spiritual experience to hold him. After he died, I held him until Nalders came to get him. He was 10 1/2 inches long, weight 12 1/2 ounces. On September 23, a graveside service was held for him. Carl gave wonderful remarks, and I helped the little grandchildren sing, "Where is heaven." Laree didn't get to see Jonathan because of her serious condition. I took care of Michael, Janie, Christ and David while Laree was in the hospital for a week. LeAnn helped also, and helped with the harvest. Friends and ward members were wonderful to bring food and sympathy. Carolyn and Von were here for the service and left afterward, taking LeAnn with them as she began her student teaching and Dale stayed to help finish the harvest.
I gave a talk on Motherhood to the 2nd Ward Young Women. Kristen introduced me with a nice tribute she had written and they gave me a corsage.
Adah and I went with a group to Ricks College to see a Russian music troup program. I began going to Michael's 3rd grade to assist with reading. Janet Peterson was the teacher.
I got a small amount each month from Mormon Handicraft for booties, 30.00 to$40.00.
In November, I sang with Betty Wood at Marie Simpson's funeral and took charge of the flowers. One day I wanted to go help Sherri Martineau who had a baby. On Sunday Glen told the Priesthood class that Sherri had felt depressed and overwhelmed by work. She prayed for someone to come and help, if only for a half hour. A few minutes later I cam to the door saying "I've come to help you - You have 30 minutes. What can I do?"
GOOD-BYE
Dale left to stay in Salt Lake and to work. We surely missed him and felt sad, realizing he was in fact leaving home for the last time to make one of his own. He was so good to help Maurice and fix things around the house.
Maurice and I went that afternoon up to Palisades in the camper to cook supper, sleep and have breakfast. After supper, we felt uneasy about staying as the campground was empty, we came back home. I sang a solo novelty song at the Stake R.S.Leadership meeting, and gave a talk on training ward Lesson Leaders.
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
Maurice applied for Social Security and we were so excited to realize a steady monthly income. It will help pay a few little bills. Stories are coming frequently in the newspapers of families losing the old family farms. We're not alone in our dilemma! I was selling cloth geese and hot pads at Heather's gift shop and selling about 10 pair of booties each month to Mormon Handicraft. Every penny counts. It gets tiresome worrying about money.
On November 17, Carl's birthday, we went with him and Laree and Bryan and Maureen out to Challis to see the results of the earthquake two weeks ago. I invited Heather, Rickell, Janie and Jerda to come stay all night. I helped them have a beauty pageant by dressing up in Kristen's clothing. We played games and had ice cream. The next morning we made cookies, then we went down to Robyn's piano recited. She did very good.
We finally put up the crocheted drapes - over 300 hours of time. We were really pleased with them.
Kristen took part in the High School Musical 3 nights. We were snowed in a couple of days and while school was out we decorated for Christmas.
December 19 we went with Maurice's family, Bernice and Bing to Walt and Leonas for a holiday dinner.
We as the R.S. Board served the Ward Christmas dinner. 425 present. Such hard work! This year we had each family separately for a "dress-up" dinner. For Kristen, Maurice made a little wooden stable for our old, old nativity we've had for 35 years. She was very pleased.
Dale and Leann came on December 24, worked all day on cute shelves for each brother and sisters. All the children except Carolyn came to Christmas Eve and gave a slide presentation made by each family - so wonderful and touching. Dale and LeAnn announced they were expecting baby. Christmas morning we attended church then
had a turkey dinner. The next two days, Dale and Maurice built a trailer for their move to Cornell. For two years they were to be gone, so it was sad to have them leave.
FAMILY ORGANIZATION PRESENTATIONS
1. Wapello R.S. - Maureen
2. Wapello Priesthood - Maureen
3. Blackfoot Conference- Maureen
4. Second Ward R.S.- Maureen
5. Genealogical Seminar, Shelley - Family
6-8. Taylor 3- Carl, Maurice, then Family - SS, Sac Meet, Pr.
9. Jameston - family
10. Idaho Falls 18th Ward - family
11. Rick's Priesthood
12-3.Second Ward Mother Education
14. Marilyn and Delwin Fielding - Maurice
15. Bowen Huntsman - Maurice
16. Gifford - Maurice
17. John Family - Discussed at Reunion
18. Second Ward Sac Meet- Maurice, Carl, and Bryan
19. Second Ward Pr. Meet. - Maurice
20. Basalt Sac Meet. - Maurice, Maureen Carl, Shayne
21 Family Song - twice - talent show
22. Idaho Falls North Stake Prep. Fair- 4/11/81.
23. " " " " Family Fair
1984
I was invited to be Heavenly Mother in a Stake R.S. Skit. What an honor.
I was giving piano lessons to Rickell, Damian, and Jerda. I was in a R.S. Visiting teacher skit for the Ward. "Sister Oldham" and "Sister Younger" (Nancy Rawson) and sang in a duet.
For Kristen's Sadie Hawkins girls choice dance, she and her friends had Carl, Rick and Bryan dress like policemen and "arrest" the boys and handcuff them to a Stake House pole. Kris had the key to unlock them before the dance and dinner.
Maurice and Kris and I and Carl's family went to spend the evening and have supper at a Cabin in Island Park that Maureen's family had rented.
On February 3, we went to Sacramento to get Adah and bring her home. Gerry and Kirk's families entertained us with tours, dinners, etc. We took Adah to Karleens in West Jordan and we stayed at Carolyn's overnight.
Meryl Hamilton
About February 20, I began to go sit with Meryl Hamilton Daily, as she was homebound and bed ridden. I was so glad to get a wage to help our finances. We went to Michael and Damian's Pinewood Derby.
In April, Adah and I went to hear pianist Roger Williams at Ricks. I sang"Oh Divine Redeemer with Verla at Sacrament Meeting. Maurice was sick for a couple of weeks. We thought it was flu then feared heart trouble so he was admitted to the hospital. Meanwhile, I portrayed Jesus Mother, Mary, at the Ward Easter program.
All the children came for dinner on Easter but Maurice was still in the hospital.
We sold the potatoes at $4.50, too little, and now big hospital and ambulance and doctor bills. Kris and I went to Phyllis' ward on Thursday evenings to tend the nursery- got paid $8.00.
On May 16, in my journal, I expressed the terrible anxiety and the fear of bankruptcy. The bank refused a loan for the coming years crops. We waited for word from FHA, as bills piled up- doctor and hospital and utilities. Our banker, Julian Cowley said he didn't see how we could stand the way potato buyers cheated the farmers every year, claiming too much wire worm, glass in the potatoes, etc.
Robyn received $20.00 for a cute article she sent to the Children's Friend about Grandpa Carl O. Johnson. On May 29 Maurice, Kris and I went down to Cherry hill at Kaysville where Carolyn's family was camped. We visited and had dinner then came home. I still visited mastectomy patients for Reach for Recovery.
The men planted potatoes for Barbins and Sampsons. We got needed clothing with the money. FHA said they're out of funds - what a frightening and depressing time!
Happy Birthday - Allen Maurice Johnson
June 28th, Dale called to tell us of Allen's birth at Cornell.
On August 5, because Maurice is a desk worker the temple, we were invited to attend a special meeting at the temple, when the Temple Presidency was reorganized, Pres. Rhiem Jones. Pres. Hinkley cam through each room and greeted the people.
I went occasionally to sit with Sis. Hamilton when Gordon couldn't be with her. Kristen got a job at K-Mart to work on Saturdays and after school and Sundays. She kept it only till we got our loan.
I did the taffy pull department at the R.S. Mother/Daughter party. We took Walt and Leona to Palisades to cook supper and sleep overnight.
Finally we got a loan from FHA and were able to pay some bills - what a relief!
Carolyn and Von came for a visit, then took our car and Kristen and went up to Portland to visit Von's brother. Adah and I had a farewell party for our friend Lenore Christensen, who was to move to Salt Lake. Kristen was selected to be in the singing dancing Crystal Blue group of 14 boys and girls at school. She was also her seminary class president.
In September Adah and I went down to visit our cousin Phyllis Owen in Brigham. An enjoyable visit and ride down and back.
On September 9, I had another severe pain attack in my side, so bad that I went to the hospital, where they gave me 4 hypos to relieve the pain. I had several tests but the doctors couldn't decide on the cause. After the pain subsided, I was OK and came home.
HOME SWEET ELVA HOME
Phyllis and Rick bought their home on Elva Street. I had a rash on my body, especially my legs that kept increasing. It burned and itched badly and looked like I'd been burned. I changed laundry soaps (from Tide to something else) and it went away = Ha!
Von won the Utah typing contest and all time winner, 124 words a minute. I went back to stay with Mrs. Hamilton and Gordon paid me $300.00 a month.
We finished the potato harvest on October 30. Their were few full days working because of rain and frost. They had also helped Barbins and Del Ray Fielding get theirs done. During the extra rainy time, we went down to Carolyn's- Maurice, Kris and I. It was the time our lights failed and we had a frightening time getting to Willard and to a service station. We stayed in a motel and went on to Sandy when the car got fixed.
President: Ronald Reagan CCC
November 6, Election Day and we went to Carl's for the "election Party" and cheered Ronald Reagan's victory. I participated in a handcraft sale at Walt and Leonas and got $60.00.
Dale gave a seminar to all County Agents in New York and had his paper published. Kris had 4 wisdom teeth pulled and was miserable.
We and Carl and Maureen's families went to Carolyn's for Thanksgiving. Poor Kristen couldn't eat and after our return home, was sick with sinus, flu, and 2 dry sockets in her jaw.
We visited Aunt Nona in December, where she'd moved to the new Quinn Road apartments.
We had Wallace, Verla, Bing, and Bernice and Walt and Leona to dinner at Christmastime. Also in December, we and Phyllis and Rick went to Carolyn's overnight. On Sunday, 23, we were snowed in and Church meetings were cancelled. Carl's family walked over and we had supper and they stayed all night.
Oh! I do hate to have the beautiful holidays gone. Such a pleasant spiritual feeling and close family ties - much love expressed. Beautiful things all around the house. I love it all. "Christmas, hurry back." Will it be Kristen's last one with us? We can't tell. She'll be in college and marrying soon. She insists that the marriage covenant will say "Do you promise to love, honor and cherish and always take Kristen Home For Christmas."
1985 PREDICTIONS
Just for fun we made predictions for 1985 at the New Years Party.
Dad: We'll all be together New Years Eve 1985.
Mom: Maureen will have a baby boy (Jan 15) and will lose
20 lbs.
Carolyn: Rick will be Bishop. Steffan will be wearing
headgear and retainer.
Von: Carolyn will become professional student (she's
starting to college at BYU in January)
Steffan: You can't teach an old dog new tricks (meaning Mom)
Bryan: Spud crop will be $10.00. Rick will switch to Exon
employment.
Shayne: Will have position in Ward Teachers Quorum. Brian
will also have different job.
Heather; Will win math competition.
Carl: Dale and LeAnn will be expecting a baby again.
Going to lose 4 lbs. Haley's comet won't be
Christ's chariot.
Laree: Janie will have 2 front teeth.
Michael: We'll Win"biggest Spud" contest.
Rick: Will lose 50 lbs.
Phyllis: Rickell will have a paper route. Damian will win
wrestling championship.
Jerda: Will all have a birthday this year. She'll win the
running (racing) contest at school.
No comments:
Post a Comment