1994
We had a lovely, lovely Christmas with Carolyn's family here and all the families visiting. In January, some of my old classmates came to plan our 53rd class reunion.
Bernice's Sharlyn had been at the Utah Medical Center for a bone marrow transplant and had suffered badly, but had hopes of recovering. She returned home for Christmas but died of a brain hematoma on January 6. Walt and Leona came for the funeral and stayed with us.
We went to Maureen's for a turkey dinner for Jim and Josh's birthday.
On January 25 we went by plant to Dale's and arrived on his birthday and they had the planned party for him and Sarah. It was so cold we stayed right in the house for five days. But I always take plenty of handwork and try to find things to do to help busy LeAnn.
Shayne was in Boston for a Harvard interview, wo came down to spend a few days. We went to Antiedam Battlefield and Harper's ferry.
I taught Kristie to knit. We went to the Holocaust Museum and National Geographic Museum and up to the Baltimore National Aquarium. We had a nice steak dinner on our last evening. We all cried to leave each other again, and arrived home on February 8, having to take a tiny plane from Salt Lake to Idaho Falls because of weather delay in Cincinnati.
Meanwhile, Helen had sold her Shelley Cleaner's to D & L, so she'd take mine and Kristen's place at the Costume Shop. I continued at D & L on Saturdays.
In February, we attended the High Priest Progressive Dinner. We also went to Phyllis' and Rick's Scout Recognition dinner where they received the Husband and Wife Award and she was surprised with the prestigious Eagle Rock Award.
Rick and Bryan had both been laid off at the "site" along with many others and were driving big trucks across states t Missouri and Tennessee.
I took Maureen's kids to school and took them food while Maureen and Heather were in Burley.
I sang at my neighbor and friend's funeral, Ilse Armour (with Verla and Carol). Carolyn' family came for a weekend visit in March. It was like Spring in March and we did some leaf- raking.
We and Kris' family took cake and ice cream up to Ricks College for Michael's birthday.
On March 19, we and Kristen and boys went to Sandy for Kanda's Youth Women Recognition night. Maureen's family also were there as well as Phyllis.' Maurice and I gave short talks and Kris and I sang. It was a lovely program with Von and Carolyn and Kanda taking part. She's very precious. On Monday, Von took us to the church film, "Legacy" at the new J.S. Memorial Building. Damian called to let us in on the opening of his mission call letter - to Spain!
Ron Christensen became our new Bishop. We sold our old Toyota pickup for $200.00. We attended the Scout Recognition banquet to see Rick receive the Silver Beaver Award. Janie came in March to stay with Kristen and finish the school year. She feels she must be with Mormon friends.
At Easter, it was stormy, so we ate our lunches here at home and Michael came from Rexburg. On April 4, Rula died at Rexburg Rest Home.
We had our Make it Take it and Carolyn, Von and Kanda came.
We had our DUP Jubilee at Basalt and tied 10 quilts to donate to charity. I presented a class on"Music Time in R.S." for the Stake Meeting for Ward choristers.
Carl and Laree and boys came to get Michael from college on April 23rd, and Carolyn's family was here also.
Bob and Deona left for their mission to New York in May.
LeAnn and Dale gave me 5 x 7 frames for Mother's Day for all the grandchildren' pictures to be hung downstairs.
I became the R.S. Spiritual Living teacher and was released as R.S. chorister. That had been an enjoyable calling as I used many varied ideas and got lots of praise for the presentations.
I sang with Carol and Verla at Steels 50th reception. Kris, Jerda and I sang at Damians mission farewell. Their family all gave good talks.
On May 28, Adah came on the bus to stay for Memorial Day and a few days. I had Stan and Joan for diner and we visited several of her old friends.
On June 1, we went with Phyllis' family to take Damian to the MTC. We then spent a couple of days at Carolyn's and Von took us to Quarry Park and the Red Butte Gardens.
On June 4, Laree and the boys came to get Janie and we had Phyllis Kris, and Maureen's family to a cookout. Chris and David were to stay with us for a month.
President Benson died in June.
I wan honored with others at the State Mother's Convention as a Merit Mother, then I attended our 53rd class reunion. I wan in charge of table decorations. Maurice had gone to take Bernice down to Salt Lake. Kristen and the boys went with us to take Chris, David, and Jason up to Forty Horse Cave at Wolverine.
Phyllis drove her car and took seven of us out to Moore for the DUP District Convention. I gave the company report.
On June 26, I spoke at Sacrament Meeting on Carthage and Joseph Smith. Walt and Leona came for a couple of days.
We went with Kristen to the hospital in the night and little Dalaney was born on June 27. Carolyn and Kanda came for a few days. On June 30th, Carl and family came to get Chris and David. We had so enjoyed having them as they were so nice to have around, courteous and considerate.
On July 1, Dale's family came for the family reunion. Laree had planned it around the Noah;'s Ark theme and had several activities such as using the dark spud cellar for the "Ark" meeting.
Kristie was baptized at our Stake House. Kristen's baby was blessed on the Sunday, Dalaney Doris, so all of the brothers and brother in laws and Dad stood in. Carl and Dale bore their testimonies and people praised our family, so it was a lovely time. Carolyn, Carl's, Dale's and Kristen's families and us then went to Sandy for July 4th to go to the Jordan Temple for Michael's endowment and to the MTC with him, as he was to go to the Dominican Republic. We are pleased to have two missionary grandsons.
Jerda became our Sunday newspaper carrier and left us little notes and treats as we did for her also.
In July, we laid out two x four boards to frame little square gardens in the West lot. I helped our neighbor, Darla, for two days after she'd broken her leg. Phyllis drove with Rickell back to Dale's as Rickell and Heather will both live and work there for a few months.
We were spending many hours in the yard. My $150.00 MH check this month all went for car repairs.
In July, Wallace told Maurice that Verla was divorcing him and came often to visit as of course he was very upset and depressed. Kristen and I sang a duet in Sacrament Meeting.
One typical July day:
6:30 AM Read Book of Mormon and Ensign.
Journal, laundry, breakfast, dishes,
straightened house, crocheted booties-book marks-
doilies and afghan (some of each), mopped floor,
Swept steps, Had VT, crocheted again,
got lunch, dishes, pulled 100 weeks and grass,
got mail, Kris and children came out, get them drinks,
drinks, drinks, (a hot day!), Sat outside and visited and
crocheted , Phyllis and Rick came, supper,
dishes, crocheted , hoed garden, crocheted and
watched TV, had bath , straightened storage shelves,
Went to see Trent's hurt foot, prayers,
Crocheted and watch TV till 11:30, To bed and read 10
minutes.
We learned that Jan and Lana's boy Kale had drowned in the river. We went to see them and took some salad.
Merril Blake offered us the house for an additional $10,000.00. We've been paying rent of $200 a month since 1989.
Adah, Bill and Jean came for kale's funeral and came to visit for a few minutes. On July 30, we and Kris family went to Sandy to be with Phyllis family to see Damian off on the plane to Spain.
When we got home we found a huge boxelder tree had blown over. Rick and boys and Jim came for a couple o days to saw it up. We women and girls helped carry it away. It took several days to get it all out back - plenty of fireplace wood.
I made the beautiful embroidered rose afghan and MH sold it for $200.00. May largest check over - $263.00. At Home Evening of Fast Sundays now, we had each one find a short message in a church magazine to present and it worked nicely. We did it for several months.
Dale and Carl called often to "check" on us. In August, Maureen, Phyllis, Kris and children painted our house. What a nice surprise! I had 12 DUP Company Board members in August for our annual seminar and served refreshments.
We had very worrisome days over the house situation and finances to get it done. We had a good attorney who worked hard. Dale and Carl both loaned us money for costs and we were able to get a loan. We received about $700.00 Social Security and the monthly $200.00 bank loan payment would come out of that.
It was fun when Bernice gave me boxes of yard, about 150 skeins. I had fun sorting it and putting it in the cubby-hole cupboard Maurice had made for me.
On September 4, Kristen and the children went with us to Carolyn's to see Michael off for his mission at the Salt Lake airport.
We brought home peaches and pears to bottle. I took part as Heavenly Mother in the R.S. Visiting teacher meeting.
We had many worrisome days before the house situation was settled, as Merril was found to have a lien on it. We signed the papers on September 22, 15 Blackfoot.
On September 24, Lanea called to say Verla couldn't find Wallace and he's been gone all night. Maurice went over and he and Verla found him in the canal by the house where he'd drowned. We assumed he'd fallen in wile irrigation and couldn't get out because of his weak legs.
I sang with Pat Hathaway at Bertha Drapers funeral.
Walt and Leona and Delmar's daughter Becky with her family stayed with us for the funeral.
Rick spend several weeks over around Boise doing fire- fighting in the forests.
On October 5, we went to visit Walt and Leon as they'd coaxed us to come. We went down through Oxford, Downy and saw Pres. Bensons's grave at Whitney. Walt and Leona took us to the BYU Bean Museum and out to "rib" dinner with Kaye and Steve.
Carolyn, Von, Mary and Kanda came for Make-it Take-it.
Our friend, Vondis died, and Carolyn spoke at her funeral on Monday - did a great job!
Pat Hathaway and I sang at Allen Ashton's funeral.
On October 18, Rick and Phyllis took us for a ride up to Jackson and bought our dinner We had a lovely ride and enjoyed the Fall scenery.
The children all bought me new eye glasses for my birthday.
One evening, Maureen came with Jason and his Young Men class and teacher and chopped firewood for us.
One evening in October, we were visiting with Kris in the living room and Dale walked in a surprised us. He'd been to Nevada for Ag Seminars. We had a lovely time. he took us to dinner then all the children came and visited.
The families came for Halloween and Maurice and I hid in piles of leaves to "scare" the little children.
I sang with Carol Farnes and Betty Sauter at Hila Cutler's funeral.
Maurice and I and Maureen's and Phyllis families went o Carolyn's for Thanksgiving. We attended the morning Thanksgiving Devotional that Carolyn and Von organized and had a lovely dinner time. Some of Mary's Indian relatives from South Dakota came also. On the following Sunday, we had the Families come for dinner.
Maureens, and Kristen's families came one evening in December and we made 400 chocolates. It was time to get the 46 boxes from the attic for Christmas decorating. Maurice accidently tore the cover off a musical card Adah had given me many years ago. It began to play and we couldn't' stop it. It played 10 days and nights and 10 hours then stopped, but ticked like a clock till after new Years.
I had DUP Christmas meeting and luncheon. Kris had us to dinner for our 53rd anniversary. We had thought and hoped Carl's family could come for Christmas, but were convinced they couldn't. Then they walked in on December 23rd and surprised us. All the children knew and kept the secret. It was so fun and Carolyn's family also came that day.
We had our "Round the World" family party at the church. Each family chose a country and had a booth explaining the Christmas traditions of that country and served typical food of each country.
We had a nice Christmas Eve with a little program, and a lovely Christmas with Carl, Von, and the boys doing breakfast. Kristen's family came also. Heather got engaged on Christmas, and her fiancee, having had the missionary discussions in Ohio felt inspired to be baptized so Maurice and I were able to prepare the font and building for it. Maurice talked and I say with Heather, Kris, and Maureen. Shayne baptized him, and they all came to our house for refreshments. Our Christmas time was wonderful. Carolyn went home on Monday. Carl took us and Kris to dinner on Tuesday, and left for home on Thursday All the adults - 12 of us, went to J.B. to diner on New Years Eve.
As Maurice had fallen and hurt his shoulder, Kristen put the boxes back up in the attic. She found the musical card cover and I put the two together and it started playing again. It started us! Jim found a way to turn it off and I put it away till next Christmas. We all had fun over it and laughed about it.
In 1994, we did 75 baptisms. I was teaching the Spiritual Living lesson in R.S and was a VT.(I was disappointed to miss one sister out of town - my first miss in 21 years.) Maurice was Home teacher and did most of the baptism preparation. I attended the temple at lest once a month. I worked at D& L cleaners on Saturdays, waiting on customers. I helped Mike Cutler read a half hour n Monday and Thursdays. I was North Bingham Company DUP President. I did handwork every minute I culd to sent to MH and for gifts and wedding fits. I read the Book of Mormon twice in 1994.
No comments:
Post a Comment