DORIS KIRKHAM JOHNSON – 2005
New Years Day – now 2005. We did the usual New Year cleanup of confetti, etc. Meanwhile, experiencing the “after Christmas blues”, with dale and Carl both calling to express their sadness that it was over. On January 4th, Kristen came down early to say that Robyn’s Karl had died in the night. We were all so sad for Robyn. I missed him, as they came often and he called often to see if I needed anything, and often brought me a gift.
Phyllis family, and Michael, Marisa and babies came to stay here for the funeral. Shayne came from Massachusetts. Heather and Avery came from Florida. Carolyn was ill so couldn’t attend. We were pleased at the nice funeral and so many attended.
One day, we all went to see the house in Shelley that Rickell purchased – the old Mary Jorgensen home – lots of memories there. January 14th. Carolyn healed, and I went down with Mark and Valerie, to witness the blessing of Jude and Jady. While there, we all went to Park City for fun. Kristen’s family were there also, for the blessing of the boys. Phyllis and Rick took me to Draper to see where the new Temple would be. David is staying with me while he works in Idaho Falls.
I had Mark and Valerie and Rob come for Jim’s birthday dinner. This month, I got $189.00 from Mormon Handicraft – fun. One day, I tended Kaleb. He climbed on my lap, layed on my shoulder, patted my face. Precious boy! Our family is growing and this month, I sent off 24 family letters as Kristen & I do every month.
In February we were attending Laney & McKay’s basketball game each week. I gave the DUP lesson each moth, and as Chaplain for the company, gave the prayer for those meetings. On the 24th, David, Kristen, the girls and I went to Utah, as Laree was there for a visit with Michael and family. I was pleased to attend church. Von was on the stand as Bishop’s counselor. Phyllis and Rick bore their testimony. Carolyn presented the R. S. lesson and Kanda gave part of the lesson. I slept at Kanda’s, then at Carolyn’s. Kanda bought me new sheets – so generous. She tends several little children – so ambitious!
Phyllis and I attended Brecken’s ward for R. S. Carolyn, Mary, Kanda and I and the little boys went to the fun Gardner Village, with it’s many little shops. While there, Kanda asked me to make a poncho, Marisa requested 20 crocheted book marks, Phyllis needs ten doilies for Gaird’s reception, Brecken’s mother a baby dress. )Phyllis and I laughed about it. I was glad to do something for people. Phyllis jokingly bought me a huge Dr. Pepper to pep me up.
On the TV travel channel we watched the broadcast of Shelley’s Spud Day. David, Maureen and I went to the Temple. At the conclusion of the session, my speech became confused, and also at the store afterward. Shayne advised Maureen to take me to the hospital, where it was determined I’d had a mild stroke – a little depressing. Sometimes I wondered if it was the beginning of the end.
I went to Island Park with Jim’s family, to sleigh ride. It was beautiful – sun on white snow, blue skies.
March! Jerda had now joined our DUP. Kristen, Jerda & Kaleb and I went to Sandy for a few days, for fun. I had another fainting attack and couldn’t speak. Kristen, Jerda and David persuaded me to go to the hospital overnight. Tests didn’t reveal why I’m having the problem. On the 18th Kristen and Jim took me to Malad where Von and Carolyn took me on to the Salt Lake Airport to go to Dale & LeAnn’s for two weeks. Phyllis, at the airport, helped me find my way, then stuffed my carry-on-bag with fun candy, books, etc. They are all so good to me. Dale and LeAnn met me in Baltimore. We had fun playing games, watching movies on their huge screen, had good meals and sight-seeing.
On the 25th we went to Shayne’s in Massachusetts, where Maureen was already visiting. One day, we spent at Boston and hiked the “Freedom Trail”. Dale pushed me in a wheelchair all the way. On Easter Sunday, we were at the Old North Church, in our own pew, saw Paul Revere’s home, Plymouth Rock, Bunker Hill, Plymouth Plantation. I loved the historic places. In an Indian Lodge, cut Elizabeth was given the name “Silent Moon”. We went to Lexington – Concord where the shot was fired that “was heard round the world” - Revolutionary War. Many more historic places.
I was pleased to hear of Shayne’s accomplishment as a doctor in Nuclear medicine. He advises doctors whether or not to operate on cancer, and has other plans to prevent cancer. We returned to Dale’s, stopping at the famous Hershey Chocolate Factory in Pennsylvania.
In April I returned home, having had a most wonderful time, made especially so with Maureen being there also. Von picked me up at the airport, and we went to the rehearsal dinner for Gaird and Jenny. Next day, the wedding was lovely. I returned home on May 3rd.
Von and Carolyn came for our Make-It-Take-It which we held at Rickell’s along with a housewarming party for her. We ladies all wore red hats, purple boas – the Red Hat Society was in full swing. Kristen and I were assigned to be Visiting teachers for Tina Betzer who lives in our old Second Ward Chapel. They have sixteen children, 11 adopted. We feel honored to go there and see how she manages and loves the children, many handicapped. I laughed to see that bathroom is the room which was Maurice’s Bishop’s Office.
Rickell was sustained as a Primary teacher, Kristen now being the President. I was going with Kristen, occasionally, to Pocatello, where she is being treated by a doctor for headaches. Maureen brought Kristie from BYU-I to stay overnight, then she went to her grandparents in Bountiful. I attended Laney and McKay’s dance recital in Idaho Falls. They danced and looked adorable. I went with Rickell and Jerda to Sandy to attend the “School Bus Rodeo” which Phyllis was in charge of. Ha – she had two busses to the dance routine – one in a tu-tu, and the other in a bow tie. It was funny, and she got much praise for organizing the affair. We enjoyed all the weeks David was living with us having worked in Idaho Falls, now going on to school at BYU-I.
I gave the lesson at our last DUP meeting for the year, at North Bingham Park. I thought this was a perfect day. I read scriptures, the Ensign, wrote to Kirk in Iraq, made little toy basinets for Laney, McKay and Rickell, pulled many weeds, shopped for Kristen, made dinner for the children.
Von, Carolyn, Kanda, Roy and the little boys came. We went to Yellowstone Park with them and Mark, Valerie, Fred, Mary and boys, Eric and Valeen, Jim & Kristen. A nice pleasant trip. Kristen and I drove Carolyn to Pocatello to join Von and go home as he’d been working for his company, Union Pacific. I write to our missionaries, Allen, every second and fourth Sunday, Josh every first and third. I was pleased to have two missionaries.
In our Ward, almost all the old members were gone now, and young people were moving in. I almost felt like a stranger, tempted to stay home, but didn’t. While Jim and the boys went to the Fathers and Sons campout, we girls, Kristen, Laney, McKay, and Jerda went out for dinner. Kristen, Jerda and I attended the DUP District Convention in Chubbuck. For a few weeks, I went with Maureen to the exercise room in town – good for me. Carl, at this time was released as Counselor in the Fargo Stake Presidency. I went with Mark and Valerie to Sandy, then to East Canyon Resort with Carolyn & Von and friends, the Gardners.
In June, Dale called to tell me about his business trip to Khazakstan, and Germany and Estonia. Aldon, DeLora, and Miriam came to visit a few minutes. Kristen and I attended the funeral of our good friend, Darwin McGary. I had commented a week before that he and Donna were ‘the salt of the earth’ people. I helped McKay sew patterns on plastic canvas, and saw Trent mending his own socks. Good! Chris and Liza called to say little Emma was born. I attended the little girl’s soft-ball games. We saw a most amazing rainbow – high in the sky, and double.
Each day I;
Crochet a bootie (to sell)
A bookmark
A leper bandage (humanitarian) 20 rows
Few rows on a baby dress
Rows on an afghan to sell or give away
Another afghan
One angel (75 for Christmas gifts)
Each Thursday – clean a wall and everything on it.
Phyllis and Rick ell came to visit and brought me a vase of Love-in-a-Mist flowers. Carolyn, Mary and little boys came to visit. Along with Maureen, Robyn, Brecken and girls, and Rickell, we went to the Dog Show in Blackfoot, and to lunch. I went to dinner with Bryan, Maureen and Robyn for Maureen’s birthday.
I went to Chesterfield, a pioneer village on the Oregon Trail, with Marcella, Lula, Donna, DUP members. We rode a tractor pulled wagon to see all the buildings. We went to dinner for Jason’s farewell, as he was leaving for National Guard training. I went with Mark and Valerie to witness Fred’s graduation from ITT (cap and gown). I attended my 64th class Reunion. Ten of 84 members present. Many have died, or unable to drive.
In July, after having sent out the Family Letter for many years, Kristen and I – now Carolyn offered to do it. We’re glad. We sat on Robyn’s lawn on South Boulevard to see the July 4th parade. When baby Kaleb saw the soldiers marching, he said “Daddy!” I spent many hours embroidering cross stitch sayings for gifts, “Father, make me a blessing to someone today”, a quote from the Mitford Series books – my motto I pray for each morning and evening.
What a wonderful day on the 13th. When Kirk arrived and entered at the airport, Kaleb ran to him and grinned. (We feared he might be afraid of him). They put their heads together, then kissed and hugged. I went with Phyllis and Rick, back to Sandy and slept in Rickell’s former room – even my own bathroom. I visited with Carolyn during the daytime. Phyllis had been promoted to school bus driver trainer. Brecken took the little girls and me to Hogle Zoo. I spent one day with Kanda.
In August, I was still going regularly to the gym to walk a mile or two. I read the Book of Mormon every day, and other scriptures. Kirk left to return to Iraq, and when he left for the plane, Kaleb yelled “Daddy, come back!” We all hoped he would. He did in November. We gathered at North Bingham Park for our family reunion – with tents and trailers. Carolyn, Von, Kanda’s family, Michael, Marisa and children, Maureen, Robyn, Kristen and family, and David. We attended church mee3tings, then Kristen and I and Laney and McKay went to Sandy.
Carolyn and I went to the DUP museum. Maureen came, and we went to Heritage park. We took Maureen to the airport to go to Shayne’s then came on home. Rick and Phyllis came from Sandy and took me with their family to Driggs to the dinner theater, and Pierre’s Playhouse.
I was still receiving a check each month from Mormon Handicraft, this month $89.00 for booties, book marks, and a baby shawl. It was school time again. Laney and McKay did a fashion show for us with their new school clothes. President Hinckley issued the call to read the Book of Mormon by years end. As I was already to Helaman, I finished it, then started over, so I would do it twice this year. He stated that there wee more members reading it than ever before.
Kristen and Laney, McKay and Roby and I went to Utah to get Maureen, returning from Shayne’s. I stayed a few more days and returned home with Rickell and Jerda. While down there, Carolyn and Von took me to visit Walt and Leona, who had prepared a nice lunch for us. We had an enjoyable visit. Marisa had little Mason while I was still there, and Laree had come from N. Dakota, so we were able to visit with her. Carolyn gave a very good talk in Sacrament meeting. While lone at Phyllis’, I had a strange attack of dizziness and collapsed. It was so frightening. Carolyn came and took me to her house. Von brought me to Malad, where Jerda and Kaleb came to bring me home.
In September I had a similar attack and Jim and Kristen took me to the hospital, where I stayed overnight. Now, I didn’t dare go to Church or drive the car for a few weeks. Jerda took me to the neurologist and I spent some time at the Balance Center, but there doesn’t seem to be a solution. On September 20th I had a more extreme attack and was unconscious for a few minutes. Carolyn, Kanda, Mary and the little boys came for a few days.
I had an EEG test, that didn’t reveal any information. Then, later on, a heart monitor was inserted in my chest, to record if I had any more attacks. As I write this history, I have been free of the problem for many months. (Shall I say, it has cost me a lot to knot find out the cause!)
Jerda took me and Kaleb and McKay up to Palisades and Thayne Wyoming to see the beautiful fall foliage.
In October, Dale came for a few days. I went with him up to College to bring Kristie down. Carolyn, Von and Kanda’s family came overnight. Dale, Maureen, Robyn, Kristie and I went out to the wonderful City of Rocks in southern Idaho. Back home we all went up to the corn maze, Kristie’s friend, Michael, included. (They are now married.)
Phyllis, Brecken and girls, Rickell and Jerda came for dinner and a birthday party for me. Maureen, Robyn, Kristie, Dale and I went up to Mesa Falls and Sawtell and had a picnic. I am shown such love and good times! I went with Valerie to Star Valley to visit her mother, Delsa. We’ve become good friends. Bill and Jean stopped to visit awhile. Kristen, as Primary President gave a good talk and the girls had speaking parts on the program at Sacrament meeting.
Kirk returned home from Iraq, to stay this time. I went to diner with Phyllis, Rick and family and Kirk’s family.
In November, LeAnn and Allen came on the way home from his California mission. I invited all the family to come for refreshments. I went with Rickell to Sandy to visit. Von and Carolyn and I went to Cabela’s in Provo, and riding around. I came home with Mark and Valerie. We were all happy to have Robyn find a cute little home in Blackfoot. We were excited to have Trent’s football team win the State finals.
Kristie cam down and we all went to Maureen’s for Thanksgiving dinner. Then Maureen, Kristie and I went to Sandy. We saw the Rembrandt Art Collection at the Church Museum and the lights on Temple Square and had dinner at Carolyn’s. I rode the shuttle bus home. I was surprised to have Carl come – everyone knew except me – so fun. He was here for company business.
Always, I worried that Kristen was ill; headaches and other pains. All the family are concerned and being helpful.
We had our yearly chocolate making day at Maureen’s this year. For the first time ever, I didn’t put up a Christmas tree this year. I made refreshments for the Young Men and Women who came to sing Carols and bring me a beautiful poinsettia plant. I finished a Christmas afghan for Rickell. I went with nelsons to Star Valley. We had our family Christmas progressive dinner at Robyns’, Maureen’s Rickell’s, and Jerda’s and here at home. Each shared Christmas memories, many about Maurice, who always made Christmas lovely. I went to spend Christmas in Sandy and had a lovely time with all the families there. I came home with Bryan and Maureen, as they were visiting Bryan and Robert. It’s always sad to end the Christmas season, but we wouldn’t be sad it’s over if we didn’t love it so much.
Carl called to say he “saw a man on the corner with as many noses as days in the year”-the old family joke.
I want to remember that Carl, without failing, wrote to me every week, as he’s done for several years and sends me a check every month. All my children are so supportive, loving, and generous. I am so blessed.
2005 Report
100% Visiting Teaching since 1973
R.S. Book Review class leader w/Kristen
Read Book of Mormon twice – have now read it 31 times.
(Note: CJC) Crocheted every spare moment – mostly for the family and for Mormon
Handicraft
(Note: CJC) Prayed & brought blessings into the lives of her six children, six in-laws, 30 grandchildren, 13 grand-in-laws and 23 greats.
No comments:
Post a Comment