JOURNAL OF DORIS KIRKHAM JOHNSON - 2006
JANUARY
January 2006 we experienced wonderful holidays. The frightening fainting attacks I was having were, I hoped, ceasing as it had been a month without any. Carl came on January 3rd on business with the RDO Company. He told us of future plans with the expansion 9of the company, and that it may be that he would manage the plant in Dubois and thus move to Idaho. We would all be so pleased! Then, in late January, it was confirmed they would for sure move to Idaho.
Jan 21: We all went to Kirk’s grandfather’s resort in the mountains and had a picnic but didn’t stay long, it was so cold – of course – it’s January!
Jan 23: Kristen and I went by plane to Grand Forks and had a lovely time in their home we hadn’t seen before. Laree had decorated it beautifully in Victorian style. We spent fun times with Janie and family, Chris and Liza and Emma and David, and Carl and Laree.
FEBRUARY
February 11: Carl was still here with the company. One day Kristen and I drove up to Dubois with him – had lunch and watched for a home they may purchase. Carl returned home to Grand Forks on the 14th.
One day I recorded: Cleaned McKay’s room
Made a pair of booties Made a book mark
20 rows on a leper bandage Several rows on a baby shawl
Several rows on a baby dress Worked a while on an afghan for Jerda
Several rows on an afghan for Maureen Read two chapters in Book of Mormon
Read an article in the Ensign Cleaned a wall in the living room
Had Laney climb up in the window to clean A TYPICAL DAY.
Carl called to say Chris sang and played his guitar at a concert – dedicated his song to Maurice and me – “Over the Rainbow.”
Kris and I went to see Maureen, as she had hernia surgery, and took a meal for her, Bryan and Robyn.
One day, Carl found I was having dinner in Idaho Falls with our Home Evening group of sisters. He made arrangements to pay for it, for eight of us, anonymously. While they were all trying to guess who might have done it, I smiled to myself. It was so fun!
MARCH
Jerda was in charge of planning a big party for the soldiers returning from Iraq. Kristen and I went to help and Phyllis was with us also. Carl came again to the plant to stay for a week. He always leaves me a candy bar on my pillow. Kris and I fasted for Carl as he has news that his and Jeremy’s status at the plant has changed, although he’ll still be working there. He returned home to North Dakota on March 3. Then, Carl and Laree came to stay. They lie downstairs here until the house in Roberts will be built for them. It is Laree’s “dream home”, beautiful. Kristen and Jim made rooms for them downstairs; carpet, paint, etc. She then prepared a room for David. At this time, I was working on nine projects for Mormon Handicraft and gifts.
APRIL
I left with Rickell to go to Sandy, and then to Disneyland. Phy7llis said it was Rick who suggested they invite me to go. What a good son-in-law! Damian and Brecken and girls also went. I loved the ride and Disneyland. We viewed and experienced too many things to list. Rickell and I came home. Jim and Kristen had a party for Trent’s 16th birthday – out in the big spud cellar. I went for a ride with Carl and Laree up to Jackson Hole. A pleasant day. I had asked Rick what I could do for them to thank them for the free trip to Disneyland and pushing me often in a wheelchair. He said he would like a crocheted flag (US). It was to be the second of many I would make for gifts and to sell; 56” x 34”, 39,950 stitches.
April 28: This was the week Phyllis was in charge of the School Bus Rodeo. She trains bus drivers. I smile at that. I’m proud of it. So Rickell and I went to attend. It was fun to see all of her family involved and assisting. Can you picture two school buses doing a dance together? It did happen, to the interest of many. Fred and Mary spoke in church. They did so well, and stated they would now be sealed in the Temple. Several times this summer, Laree and I worked in the yard to make it neat and attractive. At this time, Kirk was in Iraq, and Jerda moved into a new home.
MAY
Carolyn and Von brought me home and stayed a few days. We went up to see the property Carl purchased for their new home. We had fun “eating out” several times. Von, Carolyn, Laree, Maureen and I went to the Temple one evening. We had our Make-It-Take-It party and made fun crafts, talked, laughed, ate. Kristen, Jerda and I attended our Spring DUP closing meeting and picnic at the Park. I presented the lesson.
May 11: In the night, I had a frightening attack. Carl, Laree and Kristen came in. I was dizzy, nauseated- hurt all over like flu !!??
I went with Maureen, Robyn, Kristen, Jim, and Rickell down to Sandy to attend the Kirkham Reunion at Carolyn’s place, which Karleen had organized. It was pleasant to see Gerry’s, Karleen’s and Bill’s families. Carl and Laree and David still live with us while their house is being finished. Laree left for Grand Forks to help Chris and Liza move out here.
May 20: We attended the funeral of our dear friend, DeEtta Christensen. What a lovely person she was. I felt depressed I hadn’t been a better person, to then be remembered as she is. Kristen, Laney, McKay and Kristie and Michael went to lunch and to see Kristie’s wedding dress she reserved.
May 24: What a fun day, as I was able to see Laney and McKay winning awards at school, walking the red carpet to the long, white limousine to get ice cream. I have an interesting animal story. Nelson’s cat had two babies, and cared for them well; hid them for a while. One day she came in the house and dropped them on McKay’s lap. Then she went out and never came back. Did she know she was going to die, and wanted them cared for?!
May 29: Memorial Day. We took flowers to the cemetery for Mom, Dad, Adah, Karl Cain, Jonathan, Maurice, Gerda, Stan, Maurice’s parents.
I rode over to Oakley with Laree, Chris, Liza and Emma, where Chris considered teaching school there. (Eventually he taught in Idaho Falls.) I loved seeing Idaho’s famous City of Rocks. Kristen was sick for several days, in fact, continued for many days and months to come.
JUNE
At this time Kristen and I were called to have a Book Review monthly, which we enjoyed. I had our Home Evening group out here, ten sisters, widows, who meet twice a month for dinner and lessons. I was reading the “Mitford” series books again at bed time. Carl forgot his usual gift of a candy bar on my pillow each night, so, before I was asleep, he sneaked in on hands and knees. Ha, like I wouldn’t notice. Sometimes he’d form several bars on my bed in a heart shape. We have fun!
I was attending Laney and McKay’s ball games. Dale called to tell be about his trip to Germany and Ireland. It was exciting going in a military plane and how impressed he was with the military people. A General complimented him and expressed appreciation for his assistance. Carl called to tell, while in Boise recently, he was able to meet and shake hands with Elder Russell Ballard at the airport. Also, he was able to chat with Butch Otter, Idaho’s Senator.
June 15: Our class of “41” held our last class reunion, the last one because at our age, few are left, or able to come.
June 16: We had a lovely Family Reunion at Lagoon. Forty-eight attended from the families of Carolyn, Maureen, Carl, Phyllis and Kristen. (Dale is too far away!)
JULY
Laree and I went to Sandy to attend Mary and Fred’s Temple sealing. Many friends and family were there, happy for the occasion. Kirk was Grand Marshall for the July 4th Parade in Idaho Falls. All the little children rode with him on a big Army truck. At night we viewed the wonderful fireworks – best ones west of the Mississippi, sponsored by Melaluka. I went to Sandy with Phyllis and Rick. One day I went to hear Phyllis present a lesson to the school bus drivers – four different groups of about 45 present. I was proud of her. Von and I went to get Carolyn where she is a missionary at the Family History Library in Salt Lake.
Von, Carolyn, Mary & Fred & boys, Kanda & Roy & boys and Cory and I went to Levan, Von’s boyhood home to the Christensen reunion. We passed the beautiful lavender flowered fields and enjoyed the beautiful mountain scenery. I like the plan in Sandy, that I sleep nights at Phyllis’, then daytimes at Carolyn’s.
I got to go occasionally to Roberts to see how the house was advancing. Jim was doing the electricity. We were proud of Trent being chosen a member of “Natural Helpers”, and also called as an officer in the Stake Youth Council.
AUGUST
Dale came for our Family Reunion. At church, he, Chris and Jim all bore testimonies in Fast Meeting. Many of us went to Meadow Lake where Maurice had taken us twice before. We had a lovely reunion. Kyle Von Christensen was born during the reunion. Maureen went to Brazil to accompany Josh home from his mission.
As Kristie is to be married, we held a shower at Maureen’s house, and then Maureen and I went with her to the temple for her endowment.
Aug 18: Wedding day for Kristie and Michael; I was able to go down with Jordan and Rickell, and to the temple and reception in Bountiful, then in Rexburg, later.
While Carl and Jim were working on the house, Carl fell from the ladder and broke his ankle. Chris, Liza and Emma moved into their new home in Ammon, as Chris was teaching school there. Kristen and I had the privilege of Visiting Teaching Tina Betzer who lives in our old Second Ward church where Maurice was Bishop. We love to see each time what Tina is doing to make it homey. (Their bathroom was once Maurice’s Bishop Office.
Aug 21: I had surgery in my mouth for Epulis Fissuration. (Ha. I told him he made that up.)
SEPTEMBER
Carolyn & Von had a dinner party for Josh’s homecoming here and all attended. At this time, Carl was sleeping nights at their house, in Jim and Kristen’s trailer – to prevent vandalism at the house. Laree and I bottled 54 quarts of grape juice – grapes from the vines Maurice and I planted long ago. At this time, Kristen spent much time in or on the bed, not feeling well.
Trent’s team won their Homecoming football game, which they beat 35-6. One of the funnest things in the world is seeing a player run 80 yards for a touchdown with two teams following, one to stop him.
Spud Day. We watched Damian, Gaird, Jim, Kirk, and Jason join in the tug-of-war over mashed potatoes in a pit. Mary Ann from Giligan’s Island was present for the day.
Sep 17: Bill, Jean, DeLynn, and Kathy came to visit, and Carl and Laree were here also. Rickell was sharing much of her garden produce with me. Previous to the Woman’s Conference broadcast from Salt Lake, our Stake R. S. presented a dinner and program to the theme “Our Heritage”, honoring past Stake R. S. presidents. Laree and Kristen attende3d with me. They spoke of our accomplishments and presented us a corsage.
OCTOBER
I helped quilt and bound two large quilts for Company DUP, to be sold to finance the District Convention. I ceased sending articles to Mormon Handicraft, as they were moving and changing their wares to different kinds of crafts. Well, I had sold 5,045 pairs of booties, 2087 crocheted book marks, several afghans, baby shawls, and dresses. I could now do other things instead.
Jim, Fred and Mary went up to install cupboards at Carl’s house. When Jude was told he was coming to see me, he said “I like her”. I like him too. I spent a week in Sandy, having pleasant times with both families, and receiving a Priesthood Blessing from the men. Cute Jude said, “Grandma Dori, I love you”, always hugs and kisses me without being told to.
Oct 19: My 83rd birthday. All the family there came to Carolyn’s for a party. I felt honored! Back at home, I was honored again by all that were here.
NOVEMBER
I spent the evening and night at Maureen’s, going to dinner with her, Bryan and Josh, then doing some quilting for her. I went with Carl and Laree to their Regional Conference. Carl was sustained and set apart to be in the High Council (the third time in his life).
I went with Jim and Kristen to stay all night at Carl’s, so the men could finish electricity for inspection. They had such hopes to move in for Thanksgiving – inspection passed! The “end of an era”. Laree packed up all she could in their pickup to go “home”. I would miss them. Kristen stayed home, ill, but Jim and I and the children went to Maureen’s for a lovely Thanksgiving dinner. Robyn, Friend Kay, Lara and Josh were there.
Carolyn & Von came, and we went down to help Maureen decorate the tree for the Community Tree Festival. It was beautiful, Maureen’s 8th year to do so. Carolyn, Von and I went overnight to the New House. While here, they helped me decorate my new little pre-lit tree, bought all gold ornaments. A lovely time.
Little footprints through my window and a beautiful Christmas pillow case and Christmas broach was left (Phyllis).
DECEMBER
Maureen and Bryan took me to the Christmas concert in Blackfoot, where Mormon and non-Mormon wards and churches took part. I slept, then, in their petty guest room.
At this time, Rickell was suffering with broken bones, having fallen from her horse that was frightened by a passing, honking car. Much surgery was done on her legs and arm and broken teeth.
Laney and I made much candy. Nick was the angel in the Ward Christmas presentation – on the birth of the Savior. We had our annual chocolate making day at Maureen’s house. Some days, I wrote in my journal the day was a perfect one. But always, we worried about Kristen.
I had a lovely Christmas Eve at Carl and Laree’s and Christmas Day. All the children called to greet me. As Kristen’s family was in Portland for Christmas, we had saved our gifts for one another, the children too, and we opened gifts when they returned home.
I wrote in my journal that I had such happy feelings, and then in a minute I wanted to cry. I had much happiness, many blessings, but sadness too. I wanted Maurice and all my little children back. I count my blessings!
THIS YEAR
· Visiting Teacher Supervisor
· Conducted R.S. Book Review meeting monthly with Kristen
· Attended temple with Maureen once or twice each month
· Met with friends for Home Evening twice monthly
· Presented the DUP lessons
· 100% Visiting Teaching
· Read Book of Mormon
No comments:
Post a Comment