Monday, July 18, 2011

DORIS-2007




Doris Kirkham Johnson
2007
I spent New Years Eve in Roberts with Carl & Laree and family. 

Jan 6.   I went with Maureen and Bryan to Utah, so we could visit Bill and Jean, and plan our coming trip to Dale’s home.

Jan 20. A letter from Carl asked “How does it feel to be perfect?”  (How would I know?)  Dale wrote and said “There is nothing during my childhood I would change.”  It cheered me up some as I was so worried about Kristen who was in bed so much of the time. 

Jan 28. I had recorded this.  “I wish to be up and doing.  I wish to face each day with resolution and purpose.  I wish to use every waking hour to give encouragement, to bless those whose burdens are heavy, to build faith and strength of testimony” Pres. Hinckley.  I wish that also. This year again, I was joining with our Home Evening Group of friends to spend two Monday evenings each month, having dinner and a lesson.

Feb 2.  I went with Rickell to Sandy to visit.  One day Von drove us to the Oquirh Mountains to see the new Kennecott City, many new homes, and the new temple, in building process.  Kristen had surgery in March, with hopes of relieving her of pain she suffered.  The Relief Society sisters brought meals to us.  Kristen came home after two weeks, feeling better.  One day, having been to the temple with Maureen, I found Rickell and Jerda cleaning my carpets, couch and windows.  What good girls!

Feb 30. I awaited our exciting trip to Dale’s in Maryland.  Maureen and I met Bill and Jean at the Salt Lake airport, and their daughter Kathy and Mark in Denver.  Dale and LeAnn were wonderful hosts and I marveled at Dale’s knowledge of all the interesting Civil War history, of which Bill & Maureen were especially interested.  Then Carolyn & Von joined us, having vacationed a few days before.  We toured many historical places.  At their home we all shared the preparations for fun meals.  Mathew’s Scout Court of Honor was held at the Church and I gave remarks, as they had requested.  (My 14th Eagle Scout in our family.)  At last we went to Fort McHenry, heard the address and saw the raising of the flag, and laughed that Kathy at times was now crocheting the U. S. flag.  Each of us ladies had our picture taken crocheting with Fort McHenry in the background.  What a wonderful, perfect trip it was.

Back at Carolyn’s, little Jude, Mary’s boy said “Grandma Dori, I love you; I’ll help you out of the car.”  I love him too!

April 28   Maureen and I met Bill and Jean in Pocatello and attended the famous Roger Williams concert.  Bill and he had played in a trio together when they were in Naval training together in Pocatello.  He mentioned Bill as one of his “old buddies.”

May 1   Rickell had injured her arm, ankle and more, having fallen from her horse, when a car honked and frightened it.  Phyllis and Rick came to be with her a few days.  We were all at Rickell’s one evening while Kristen and Jim were preparing a meal for Trent and friends prior to the Junior Prom.  Trent’s date was granddaughter of Keith and Reva, good old friends.  We laughed about it.  Kristen was advised to go to Gooding for a month, because of addiction to prescription drugs, due to so much surgery over the years.  She seemed to be in a little world of her own on or in bed almost all the time.  We were all sad, and hoping for her to get well.  One day, David brought me red roses and a big cinnamon roll.  How nice!  I went with Rickell, Jerda, and Laney to take Kristen to Gooding.  Carolyn and Von came for a few days.  All of us ladies and girls met at Maureen’s for our semi-annual get-together for an afternoon.  We had fun with crafts.  Also attending were Mary, Kanda and husbands, and boys, Roby, Kay, Bryan, Liza, Emma.  The men and boys went to lunch.  Kristen, in Gooding had fainted and fallen and broken her ankle but stated she was being treated good and well taken care of.  McKay and Laney were staying with Rickell while Kristen was away.

May 13   I had a nice Mother’s Day, with many gifts from the family.  While Carolyn and Von and Mary were here, we worked in the yard, mowing and cleaning.  Kristen had to come home for surgery on her ankle.  I attended DUP District Convention, and as Company Chaplain, gave the opening prayer.   I crocheted 5 name doilies, at Valerie’s request, for her girls.
                                                                                    1
May 24   I went with Jerda and Kirk to Sandy.  Rickell took Trent and Nick and all helped Damian and Brecken move into their new home in West Jordan.  I made name doilies for all of Dale’s children, at his request.   He paid me well, even though I resist taking it.  All the children are so good to me.  I always hope to not disappoint them in any way. 

One day I recorded the chores I did that day.  I’m glad to have things to do and feel good enough o do them.
            Sent a gift                                                        Cleaned bedroom window
            Sprayed weeds                                                 Kristen’s dishes
            Took Garbage Out to Road                              Reported V.T.
Got Mail                                                          My dishes
Washed clothes                                                            Crocheted
Folded Clothes                                                 Watered Flowers
Starched and Pinned out two name doilies       Watched TV
Put layer of plaster under rocks by Kristen’s house

June 7  I went with Mark and Valerie for Fred’s college graduation in Utah, then to dinner for all the family at Von and Carolyn’s place.  When Mary told Jude to tell Jady he was sorry for hurting him, Jude said, “My sorries are all broken.”  With Carolyn and Von, I went to Thanksgiving Point, and we toured the beautiful grounds.  At this time, Von and Carolyn were fulfilling missions to the Family History Center in Salt Lake, and the Membership Department.  Rick and Phyllis and I went for a ride up over the mountain to Heber City and Provo.

June 21   Maureen was invited to be the tour guide to the Manti Pageant (on the Temple Grounds) on a bus owned by friends of hers.  It was so enjoyable – the Temple so beautiful.  Our tour was all expense paid – meals and rooms.  I was proud as Maureen directed, entertained, and informed the tour group.

July 3 & 4   I went with Phyllis’ family to Island Park, where Damian baptized Baylie in a river up there, and a nice dinner was served for many of us there.    Maureen to me to their place and we relaxed and talked and ate a picnic.  Then we went to Idaho Falls to view the beautiful fireworks – claimed to be the best west of the Mississippi.

July 14   Kanda and family came and stayed overnight on their way to celebrate at Sun Valley.

July 20   We held our annual Family Reunion at Kirk’s grandfather’s place up in the hills.  We enjoyed seeing the interesting huge windmills on the property.  I wished Maurice could see them.  We had a nice program, (at which Maureen danced for us).  Many of the family attended, as well as all of us in Idaho.  I missed Kristen so much during these times, happy that she’d soon be home.

July 30   Maureen and I went to Utah and did initiatory work in the Jordan temple, and to a shower for Kelly as she and Steffan would be marr9ed.  On Aug 1 they were married in Von and Carolyn’s yard – decorated pretty.  A dinner was served.

Aug 28   I went to Sandy for the week-end with Phyllis.  Von took Carolyn and me to see the new Draper Temple being constructed.

Aug 30   Kristen returned home from Gooding.  In Sacrament meeting, she and Jim bore their testimony.  Liza made the decision to be divorced from Chris.  We all felt sad for him and the two cute little girls.  I was missing being able to sell handwork to Mormon Handicraft.  They ceased selling baby articles.  In thirty years I sold 5020 pair of booties, 1250 book marks, baby dresses, shawls, afghans.  I missed the money, $750.00 yearly sometimes.  But I was grateful for Social Security.    I want to list all the articles Phyllis and Rick gave me while Phyllis stayed with me three days.
            Temple Stockings                                Hearing Aid Batteries               Peaches
            Bed Ruffle                                           Juice                                        Treat for Ball Game
            Sprinkle Pipe Opener                           Fried Chicken                          3 Movie Series
            Dinner                                                 New Washcloths                      Dust Pan
            Shower Accessories                             Corn                                        Worked in Yard
Spider Traps                                       Flowers to Plant                     Doorstop
Door-knob Stop                                               Candy                                                 

                                                                        2
Sept    I entertained my Home Evening group and for our lesson I had Kristen tell about her experience at the Walker Center in Gooding.   Carl called to say he lost his job at RDO Potato Processing.  We are all angry about it, they having brought him West to manage the plan here.  How could it happen!??!  He’s had good relations so far.  Dale, his “little brother” sent him some money to show his concern.   David announced his engagement to Leighanne and invited me to go with his family to California in December.  I was happy for him.  Lanea Taylor came one day to learn how to do Swedish embroidery.  We had lunch and a pleasant visit.    Many of the family attended Jason’s induction into the Army and to celebrate at dinner at Maureen’s.  Jerda, Kirk and Kaleb took me up to Palisades to se3e the beautiful Fall colors.  They picked bunches for me to bring home.  I earned $200.00 for crocheting 8 name doilies for Rickell’s friend.

Oct   I spent a few days at Carolyn’s.  Ph7yllis and Rick were away on a Cruise, a gift from Damian and Brecken.  Von and Carolyn and I went to Orem to take Walt and Leona to lunch to honor Walt’s 90th birthday.  I also attended a baby shower for Gaird and Jenny’s expected baby.   We had our semi-yearling “Gathering of the Girl’s” at Carolyn's making old-fashioned lye soap.   At this time, Von had been called to serve as Bishopric 1st Counselor at the Utah State Prison, a three year calling.    Rickell took me to Blackfoot to have surgery on cancer on my cheek (six ugly black stitches).   I went with Jerda, Kirk and Rickell to Sandy on my birthday.  Jerda and Brecken had a party and gifts for me.   Jason, having been divorced from Angie, had now married Brandy, who we just love.  She called Maureen Mom and me Grandma right away.  Shayne came from Massachusetts and he and Maureen, Jason, Brandy, Carl, Laree, Kirk, & Jerda were here to visit for aw3hile.  Carolyn called to say she was now RS President at the prison.  I heard one of their friends day “have fun in prison today.”  I had stated many times in my journal how worried I was for Kristen.  She spent much time in bed.

Nov   I remember one day Laney, McKay and I were all in my living room crocheting together and watching T. V.  A nice picturesque moment.

Nov 6   I crocheted 25 stars for Maureen for the Blackfoot tree festival, which she has participated in for nine years now, with Kristen’s help.  Mikenna was born to Gaird and Jennie, my 29th great grandchild.

Nov 8   I went to Sandy with Rickell and McKay.  As I was reading scriptures one day, I remembered that while in grade school our teacher asked us to choose a scripture we would like to live by.  I chose “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”  I hope I have done it.  (Bless that teacher).  Carl and Laree invited me often to come stay with them, always pleasant times.  I attended with the family, Trent’s November football game.  Their team unbeaten played Fruitlands unbeaten team.  They were tied, and in the last five seconds Shelley intercepted and got a touchdown.  Even I cheered loud, the most exciting game I ever attended.

Nov 18   I was making flags for Dale’s six children, at his request.  He insisted on paying me $200.00 each. 

Nov 22  I had Thanksgiving dinner here with Kristen’s family.  It was a pleasant time.

Dec 3  I attended the Blackfoot Community concert in which Maureen sang in a sextet. Her decorated tree sold for $600.00

Dec 22   Kristen and Jim had us to their place for our family Christmas party.  Kristen had arranged a surprise nativity scene by Jim’s sister, brother-in-law and baby.  I spent Christmas Eve and day with Phyllis, Rick and Rickell at Jerda’s home.  It was a lovely, pleasant time.

Dec 26   I went with Carl, Laree, and Chris to David’s wedding in California – so honored to be invited to go.  It was a lovely, happy wedding in the temple and a beautiful reception.  I spend New Years Eve with Kristen’s family.  I had an active and good year during 2007, and put in my journal “I wonder if I will be here another Christmas.” 

This year I was V.T. supervisor, conducted with Kristen a Book Review Class, Company DUP Chaplain, and lesson present, 100% Visiting Teaching, traveled much, crocheted, and visits to all your homes your goodness and goodness to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment