Saturday, July 16, 2011

DORIS - 1995


Maurice, Doris and Mark Willard Johnson

Maurice, Weldon Griffiths, Arvil Millar, and more bishops.  Let me know who.

Maurice and Doris
DORIS KIRKHAM JOHNSON – 1995
(Written at the end of the 1994 Christmas Season)
The Christmas and New Year holidays have passed.  We loved the whole season with the lovely decorations in and outside the house.  The December weather was lovely so Maurice put more than usual lights outside, as did many others in the valley.  At our age now, each Christmas I think, “We get to be together one more Christmas.”  (One more Spring, one more Summer, one more anniversary, etc.)
Now I will write my 1995 history from my daily journal.
1995
Christmas passed, lovely as usual and we went to New Year’s Eve dinner at J. B’s with Kristen’s, Maureen’s and Phyllis’ families.  Carolyn and Carl’s families had left earlier.  We kept in touch by phone with Dale’s family who was too far away in Maryland.
I would be giving the Spiritual Living lesson in R.S. each month and teaching Mike Cutler reading on Mondays and Thursdays for an hour.  We still did the Stake baptisms coordinating and preparation for the sixth year.  We arranged 77 in 1995.   I attended the temple at least once a month.  We held our Family Home Evenings here each Fast Sunday.  For the first time in 21 years, I was unable to get 100% Visiting Teaching as one of our sisters went to Alaska early in the month without our being aware.  Beth Bair was my partner all years.
I was Bingham North DUP Company President again until June and gave monthly camp lessons.  On Saturday, I worked at the Cleaners and occasionally at the Costume Shop in Idaho Falls.  Then, as before, I spent all the time I can on handwork for gifts or to sell.  I made scarves for all the older grandchildren for Christmas this year.
I finished the ‘circle’ quilt for Heather’s wedding gift, as she gets married on February 11.  Janie stayed after Christmas to live with Kris and Jim, because she didn’t have any Mormon friends in Grand Forks.  What a difficult decision for her and Carl and Laree.
50th  Temple Anniversary
This was the 50th Anniversary of the Idaho Falls Temple, so there were plans for many activities in the area.  I was asked by President Cutler to get a sextet to sing Marie Anderson’s “Temple By The River”.  We sang at Stake Conference in February.  Aunt Nona, 97 years old, spent an enjoyable day with us while Marge and Bill were at the temple.  We had a pleasant weekend, having Walter and Leona come.  I had made an afghan for Bernice and invited her and Lonni down for Sunday dinner.  It was fun to surprise her with Walt and Leona being here also.
At the request of Sherri and Glen Martineau, we took Beth Bair and attended court in Pocatello when their son was tried and sentenced to 36 months in prison for drug manufacturing.  Such a sad situation, but their having Randy on a mission was comforting.
Jan & Heather’s Shower & Wedding
On February 9th, Kris and Phyllis had a bridal shower for Heather at Maureen’s house.  In preparation for Maureen’s anticipated guests, I made 80 rolls, 50 cinnamon rolls, lots of crab and fruit salad.
On February 20, Jan’s relatives came.  At our house, for dinner I had his step-mother, sister, step-sister, Uncle Bruno, Aunt Karin and Kristen’s family. Karin and Bruno stayed with us for the weekend.  Also, Carolyn and Von came, bringing the gorgeous wedding cake which Von had made.
The wedding at Schilling House in Blackfoot was lovely, with Heather beautiful and she and Jan so charming.  As Jan was so recently baptized, they could not be married in the Temple yet.  It was interesting to have Jan’s non-member family here, who manage the Georgetown Club in D. C. 
President Howard W. Hunter passed away in February.  We’d learned to love and appreciate him very much.  Gordon B. Hinckley became the Church President and Prophet.
We had a Valentine party at Kristen’s, but our spring-like weather turned wintery.  We also celebrated Robyn’s birthday.  We attended the meeting for Jason’s ordination to be a Priest.  We tended Nick, Trent, and Delaney on a week-end while Kris and Jim attended an Amway function in Indianapolis.
In March, Kristen, Phyllis and Rickell came and got down our 46 boxes of Christmas things from the attic; reorganized, discarded and got them down to 32 boxes.  Well, I’m just so sentimental.  I can’t throw those old memorable souvenirs of the children’s childhood away!
Our March monthly Home Evening was about “Returning With Honor”.   Each of us told what it meant to them and Kris had made each a card to post in their room. 
Marie Anderson accompanied Eileen Stoddard, Bette Sautter and me for “Temple By The River” as we sang in Sacrament Meeting in March.  I led the singing at Ward Conference and the R. S. Birthday dinner.
On March 29, Maureen and Bryan took us in their new van up to Rexburg to attend the Scout Banquet to see Phyllis be honored to receive the Silver Beaver Award.  We were proud of her, as always.  Phyllis and Rick also were honored at the “8 Who Make  a Difference” reception in Blackfoot as they were both nominated for their extensive scout work in the PATS program – (Positive Attitude Through Scouting) – for juvenile delinquents.  We attended Phyllis’ Ward Road Shows as all the family took part.
At General conference in April, we were fortunate to hear every talk on TV and especially to hear the new Church Presidency. 
On April 8th, we had our Make-it Take-it day at Kristen’s.  Carolyn and Von and Kanda came.  I took part in our Ward VT convention – took the part of Heavenly Mother.  At our company DUP Jubilee party, we announced the new company board.  I had been on the Board for 12 years.
Some of the happiest times are the two of us together in the evenings, doing handwork, reading and watching TV.  Maurice really does tell me he loves me every day.
                                                 COMPANIONSHIP                                                                                                                                                                              
          It isn’t that we talk so much, oft times the evening thru.
          You hardly say a word to me, and not much I say to you.
          I sit beside my reading lamp; you have your favorite chair.
          Sometimes you read aloud to me, something you want to share.
          It isn’t that we go so much, we’re not the kind to roam.
          When night shades fall, we like to be together in our home.
          There are letters that I like to write to folks I know who care.
          And there is a bit of news of friends, both here and there.
When the sun sets on our day, and fades from out the West,
A quiet evening in our home is what we like the best.
When I’m beside my reading lamp, you’re in your favorite chair;
We’re both contented just to know the other one is there.
We “tended” Lara and Josh while Maureen and Bryan went to Ohio to take Heather’s wedding gifts.  In April, we added two lumber squares to the garden for peas and corn.  It’s hard for Maurice as arthritis bothers him much of the time.  But we love our garden spot.  We sit out there occasionally.  Dale called to tell us Mark Willard was born on June 1, our 28th grandchild.
Carl sent a letter as he does occasionally saying:
“Don’t let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, For one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot.”  Thanks for a Camelot childhood.  It prepared me for a Camelot life.  I am so happy.  I’ve been so blessed.  I love you both so much.  Love forever, and ever – Carl.

We worked hard on the yard and gardens all summer.  We love our yard and home.  Phyllis’ family came almost every week to mow lawns.  I sang at Dora Jensen’s funeral with Carol Farnes and Better Sautter.  Maybe Verla and I will never sing together again.  She seems to want nothing to do with us, since Wallace’s death. 
For Mother’s day, Carolyn sent beautiful forest green towels.  We got new flooring.  Phyllis and Kristen and Rickell painted, put up a pretty border and laid the flooring.  How could they do that?!  It looks lovely.  Kristen and Jim surprised us and cut down the big evergreens in front of the house.  It uncovered our cute porch and looks neat.  Kris did sunflower decorating for the porch – a cushion on the bench, a wreath, mat, and little shelf with flowers.
Aunt Nona died on May 19.  I was honored to give her life sketch at the funeral in Pocatello.  I sat between Stan and Bill who gave prayers.  Adah stayed overnight with us.
Carolyn, Von, Kanda and Mary came on Memorial week-end.  They and Kris and I went on the walking tour of Old Eagle Rock in Idaho Falls.  (We saw a Celtic Cross and a street named Placer).  On Saturday, all the ladies and granddaughters had a graduation luncheon for Kanda and Jerda.  Jim and Kris cooked a turkey on Sunday and all the family came. 
Carl and Laree came in June to get Chris and David who were here for two weeks and Janie who now finished the school year.  We had a wiener roast on Saturday evening with all the family here.
On Maureen’s birthday, we and Kris and Maureen’s families had a picnic out on the lavas and walked the new trail at the rest area.
On June 25, we and Kristen and the children went to Carolyn’s with Maureen.  She attended classes at Centerville for her teaching job.  In the afternoons, we all went to Red Butte Gardens and Antelope Island.  I climbed the ‘mountain’ with Maureen and played on the sand beach.
On the Monday, Carolyn invited Adah, Karleen’s and Bill’s family for a cook out in their cute back yard.  We also played games.
July 4th  Phyllis and Kristen’s families came and we cooked bacon and eggs outside.  Then we went up to Phyllis’ to watch Idaho Falls fireworks.  The yard work was continuous, keeping grass and weeds from flowers, painting all the white fences, bridge, etc.
July 7th, Maureen, Robyn, Phyllis, Rickell, Jerda, Kris and Dalaney and I went up to the Antique Barn in Idaho Falls.  Josh came for the weekend while Maureen was in Utah.  July 9th we went to Bob and Deona’s welcome home meeting, and then with Phyllis and Rick to take Derek up to Treasure Mountain Scout Camp where he’s working for the summer.  Dale’s family came on July 16th for a few days.  It was our first time to see the cute new baby.  On the 17th Maurice and I went with Dale, Allen, and Kristie out to Meadow Lake.  It is so beautiful there.  They fished for a while, and we hiked up a trail.  They also fished at Birch Creek on the way home.  I always take a book and handwork to do while riding and resting.  Kristie gathered beautiful wild flowers and rocks to bring home.
REUNION TIME
On July 22 we had our Family Reunion.  We met at Kristen’s for foil dinners then watched old home movies.  Dale had pitched tents in our yard for their family.  We ate breakfast at Kristen’s.  Jerda had planned the Reunion this year and had a service project of working in our yard.  As much as the rain would permit, they painted, repaired, mended anything that needed it.  Cars, plumbing, shingled the gazebo roof, painted the fences.  We had conferences for both adults and children with the “Return with Honor” theme.  Rick cooked Dutch oven supper.  Kristen announced her pregnancy.
July 23, LeAnn’s parents came Sunday and then they blessed Mark Allen.  We had a potato bar and then went up to see Jerda receive her young Womanhood Award.  Dale’s family left after that.  So little time with them and so far away.  We all wish they could be closer.  On July 29th we had the Carl O. Johnson Reunion here.  Phyllis had planned it.  Walt and Leona stayed here with us, also Carolyn and Von.  About fifty attended of Wallace’s, Bernice’s, Ruth’s, and Allen’s children and grandchildren.  Max brought his horses and trolley so we could all ride.
We went to see the gardens at Ricks in Rexburg with Von and Carolyn.  One day after attending the temple with Maureen, we watched “Little Women” with Kris, Robyn, Lara, and I fixed lunch.  We went to see Phyllis at Rick’s PATS graduation.  Rick and Maurice made cute bird feeders for our garden area.  At the end of August, Janie came to stay at Kristen’s to attend her senior year here at Shelley.
M.H. sold an afghan for $200.00 so we went to get Maurice some coveralls, and a new clothes hamper for me.  They’ve sold an afghan the last three months.
Little handsome Trent started kindergarten, so we went to see him off.  He hoped he looked “sharp” in his new clothes.  (He did!)  Kris, Maureen, Robyn, and I went to the Back Room furniture store in Pingree then back to Maureen’s for fun refreshments on her patio.
On August 27, Jerda left for college at Pocatello.  Carolyn and Von came on September 2 and we went with them to take Kanda to Ricks College.  Kris and Laney went also.
We all went with Rick up to Big Springs to float down the river on his rubber rafts, but the storm prevented our going.  We had a nice picnic anyway and went to beautiful Mesa and Lower Falls.  On September 15, we and Kris and children went with Maureen and family down to East Canyon resort east of Ogden to be with Carolyn and Von in their new condominium.  It was a lovely relaxing time.  We drove around the mountains and saw beautiful scenery, ate and visited a lot.
I bottled 150 quarts of apricots, peaches, pears, plums, and strawberry, raspberry and apricot jam.  We went to Maureen’s school open-house, where she had prepared a literature display.  It’s fun to have a daughter school teacher – as well as one who is a legal secretary, a great scouting daughter, and Krissy, who is a wonderful homemaker and beautician.  And two great sons.
The car broke down on my way to the temple one day – serious problems.  We were so glad to have the Grand-Am Carolyn and Von had given us in the summer.  Kristen planned and she and Maurice made a cute pantry out of my waste basket cupboard by putting in several shelves.  That was fun.
Stan and Joan come occasionally to visit.  I felt bad for him to hear his only grandchildren don’t care for him.  And we have so many so good to us.  I guess I can’t write about this year without mentioning the awful O.J. Simpson trial that was so publicized all summer.  (A still very famous football player from years ago was charged with murdering his wife and her friend.)  We were so glad when it was over.  We all gather at Kristen’s for our Fall Make-It Take-It; (Carolyn, Maureen, Kanda, Robyn, Phyllis, Rickell, Kris and I)
In the evening all the adults went to Blackfoot to dinner at the Homestead Restaurant for Maurice’s 74th birthday.  Bernice came with Dennis, Janice and their daughter and brought Maurice a birthday cake.  Dennis’ daughter interviewed Maurice as a veteran for an English assignment.  For Maurice’s birthday, Kris and Jim bought paint for the kitchen and she spent hours here painting.  On October 9, some of my classmates came to plan our 55th year class reunion.
I was invited to tell about our Family Organization in Relief Society and Helen Howell also called to talk to me about it – for a R. S. Lesson.  28 times we’ve presented it.  Also, in October, I received the largest check ever from Mormon Handicraft, $287.00.  Each day I try to make one bootie, a row on a doily, a book mark, some on an afghan, part of a book cover, sometimes gifts like scarves, pillow case edging, etc.  One day I read along with other grandmothers at the Primary children activity.  Kristen is a counselor.
We tended the children while Kris and Jim were in San Diego for an Amway function.  Maureen and girls came frequently on Sundays to visit.  Carl calls often and Dale calls every Saturday.  Good children!
I was asked to be the DUP Company Registrar.  In November, Phyllis showed us a wonderful slide presentation which she is becoming famous for in scouting, “Put the Boy Together, and the World Will Turn Out Alright,” featuring Jim and Trent.  Maureen told the original Thanksgiving story.  One evening we, Maureen, Robyn, Phyllis, Rickell, Kris and children went to visit Jerda at ISU and had dinner with her in the cafeteria.
On November 10, Rickell modeled my wedding dress, and Dalaney modeled the crocheted dress I had made for Carolyn in 1945, at the Bingham County Historical Fashion Show.  Maureen and girls, Phyllis, Kris and I were there.  Rickell was beautiful and with Rickell’s good help, Laney was a hit.
The Primary was desperate for help in the Nursery, so I told Kristen to hand in my name to be approved.  So I got that calling.  It would be fun as Nick and Laney were in there.  I was released as Spiritual Living teacher.  I crocheted 20 snowflakes and 20 book marks for the Literature Christmas Tree which Maureen was to do for the Blackfoot Christmas tree lane.  Kris and I helped Maureen decorate the unique tall, beautiful tree.
For Thanksgiving, we had 28 here from Carolyn, Maureen’s, Phyllis’, and Kris’ families plus Jim’s two brothers.  I tended Laney (in the nice warm house) while the others went to the Parade of lights in Idaho Falls.  On Saturday we went with Carolyn and Von to the Town and Country Christmas open-house, then they left for home.  What a great son-in-law Von is, as are Rick, Bryan and Jim.
We were invited to speak briefly for the fourth year at the Stake Baptism Orientation for children who will be baptized in 1996.  We first explained our assignment and showed the clothing available.  We attended one basketball game to watch Janie march with the Topperetts.  They are so talented.
For the second year, Maureen, Kris, and girls and I made about 150 chocolates here at our house.  Kris and Maurice got all the boxes down from the attic and did most of the Christmas decorating as I worked at the Cleaners.  Again, it was such a lovely time in our home with the beautiful Christmas Spirit.
The following is from “Suzanne’s Own Night” from Song of Years:
“In the summer with the mourning doves and bouncing betts, the wild grapevine swings and the long walks in timber, you forgot entirely the feeling this night could bring.  To think of it gave you no emotion whatever.  In early Fall, you began to remember it.  By November, it became a bright light toward which you walked.  And now, tonight (Christmas Eve) you could not think with one bit of excitement how much you liked summer things.  Yes, it was magic, (all the family sat around the fireplace.)  Christmas Eve was a white light that drew a magic circle around the members of your own family to hem them all in and fasten them together.”
Because of summer-like weather, there was an abundance of lights around the valley.  Kris and Jim took us riding to see.  We had more than usual also, on our gazebo and bridge and porch.  On Sunday morning, Maureen and Lara came early and brought our breakfast, served on a lighted tray, Lara in her candle crown and white apron.  Several times a pixie came leaving footprints and a treat.  (It seemed to show up each time Phyllis came.)
For our 54th Anniversary, we went to dinner at Dutch Treat in Shelley. I made much candy (toffee, taffy) and rolls.  We delivered gifts to neighbors and Bob, Stan, Geneal, Margaret and Donna.
FAMILY CHRISTMAS PARTY
We had our family Christmas Party at the church on December 23.  Each family told a Christmas  story.  Phyllis did a slide presentation to “The Littlest Angel” and gave us each a box with “a golden butterfly, a blue robin egg, two polished stones, and a leather collar for his dog.” I told “A Different Kind of Star:, and “The Orange Story.”  Maureen gave us a bell with the “Polar Express” story and Kris did “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”  Each family brought snacks and we had a lovely time.
On Christmas Eve, Sunday, Kris and family came and we had a little program with the little boys telling the Bible Story.  We watched “Miracle on 34th Street” while we filled stockings and put out Santa Gifts.  They slept overnight.  Kris had made the children cute night shirts to wear to bed Christmas Eve.  Trent didn’t want to wear his to bed, so Maurice put on his gown and nightcap Phyllis had made him last year.  The boys “died” laughing, then went to sleep on the living room floor – in their night shirts – Maurice laying by them.  In the morning we arose at 6:00 to open gifts.  It was fun and nostalgic to watch the sweet children with their gifts.
Carl had sent Kris many hundred dollars in $20.00 bills which Kris had wrapped in tiny rolls and put in our socks.  Jim videoed our surprised actions.  We cherished each gift given to us by all the children.
We went to Phyllis’ at 8:00 to be able to speak with Damian from Spain then over to Jim’s parents for breakfast at 9:00.  As usual, we cooked a big dinner for all the family who would come during the day.  Our Christmas seemed to be extended as Carolyn, Von, and Kanda came on Tuesday and Carl and Laree and Chris and David on Thursday.  All the adults went out to dinner on Friday.  Maureen had us to dinner on Tuesday – using her new Christmas China.
The evenings before Christmas, I wore the pretty Christmas nightgown Carolyn had made me for my birthday.  We were grateful for the car Von and Carolyn and given us in the summer.  Dale and LeAnn had sent us $200.00 for Christmas and gifts.  What a lovely Christmas again.  I always think now “Maurice and I get to have one more Christmas together.”  How blessed I am – my wonderful husband and children.
Years Tally:
I read the Book of Mormon during the year.
I helped Mike Cutler read one hour on Mondays and Thursdays.
I sold many items at Mormon Handicraft.  Up to now, I’ve sold:
                2411 pair of booties
                232 R. S. Lesson Book covers
                794 Book Marks
We sent out the combined family letters each month.  It’s been a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment