2008
In the life of
DORIS KIRKHAM JOHNSON
JANUARY
As usual, I was saddened to put away Christmas for another year. I always love the Christmas spirit.
All during January, I suffered from infection in my leg, resulting from a blister. I sat with my leg elevated much of the time, but could accomplish much handwork, such as six flags that Dale requested.
David was married to Leighanne in the Temple. We all attended the reception in Carl’s home in Roberts.
I could attend Sacrament meeting where Carl gave the High Council talk. I was pleased and proud of him. They took me in a wheelchair to attend the open house of Rexburg Temple. So beautiful, of course. Maureen and Bryan took me again to the Temple. President Hinckley died on January 27th.
Carl displayed some of my handwork at his Gun Show, and brought me $100.00 for things sold. That was fun! Also $75.00 more for a baby dress and shawl.
FEBRUARY
I began having depression so bad, it frightened me. Had some hallucinations and lost weight fast and couldn’t sleep or eat. Phyllis invited me to come to Sandy to visit a week. Rickell took me to meet her in Malad. While driving, I described how I felt and suddenly, she said, “I wonder if you are dehydrated.” The problem was solved! I stayed the week. Carolyn and Von took me with them during the daytime while Phyllis was working on her job. I must state that I stumbled and hurt my back one day. Because still, in 2009, I’m still bothered with back pain and I use a cane. Otherwise, I feel healthy.
Carolyn and Von, at this time, were, and still are volunteering at the Utah State Prison. Later on, Phyllis and Rick also took on that assignment. I had a nice time with both families. At Phyllis’ I have my own nice bedroom and bathroom. Rickell came down and brought me home. On the way, through Bountiful, we stopped to see Bill in the hospital, very ill with Leukemia. We’ve always had a loving relationship. (Note from CJC: Kathy, Bill’s daughter, tells me that Mom was always his favorite sibling.)
At this time, I was Lesson Leader in our DUP Camp. I spent four enjoyable days at Carl and Laree’s in Roberts. I recorded in my journal, “To love and be loved is the greatest Joy on earth.” I do love my family and they show much love for me.
MARCH
One day Rickell and Jerda took me to Malad to meet Phyllis, who had a gift for me – a new Cell Phone. We all had lunch together and a lovely ride down and back. Beautiful snowy scenes.
At this time I joined with a Home Evening group of other single Sisters in the Ward: Marie Andreason, Donna McGary, Marcella Barton, Jennie Johnson, Donna Bolander, Gail Neilson, Velma Johns, Elda Blackburn, and Laura Stanly. Still in 2009 we meet together twice a month on Mondays, one week at one of our homes for dinner and a lesson and at a café to eat the other week.
Carl was selling my booties for $8 & 10.00 at his gun shows. I got $4.25 at Mormon Handicraft.
Leona seemed interested in my crocheted flags, so I sent her one. She said she showed it all around the neighborhood (40,650 stitches) and couldn’t I have it published in a magazine or something (ha). I think, what can an old person do if she can’t do handwork.”
I visited Carl and Laree’s for three days, always enjoyable. I watched much on TV of the Presidential Campaign between Barack Obama (what mother would name her cute baby Barrack?) and John McCain. We know how that turned out.
When Carl would come to visit he would leave a design with candy bars on my bed like a heart – fun! Kristen and I were assigned to decorate a table for the Relief Society birthday dinner.
· (FAMILY – I LOVE THE NEXT PARAGRAPH. CJC)
I always missed Maurice, want to hug and to hold his hand. When he sat on the stand at church, he would lick his lips to tell me he loved me. Is that clever, or what. He showed it in many ways.
Maureen and I were doing initiatory work at the temple once or twice a month. So easy and satisfying.
On March 17th, Carolyn called to tell me Bill had died. I felt so bad and still miss him. I pictured him “up there” with my parents, Adah, Orla, Douglas, Sherman, and Stan. Only Bob and I left of our big family.
At this time Kristen was receiving treatment at Gooding for prescription drugs for illnesses. I rode over with her one day. Her counselor said, “Isn’t she wonderful! I’m so happy to meet the person who made her.”
We were assigned to visit teach Tina Betzer, who lives in the old Second Ward Church with her husband and fifteen children, some adopted and handicapped. Every time we went, she had done something interesting to make it pretty and homey. I took her a picture of the old building – she had it enlarged and put on the entrance.
One day Phyllis came and asked me to make a list of things I wanted done. I said “just vacuum.” No, she and Jerda cleaned my living room, dining room, kitchen walls, windows, curtains. I hope you all think of me as a good housekeeper. But it was fun – they made me set and watch and crochet.
On the 20th, Maureen and Bryan took Kristen and me to Bill’s funeral. A lovely one with much praise for him and his Bishop and associates and by his children who spike about his fun sense of humor.
Our DUP Camp was reorganized. I would now be the Registrar, after being the Lesson Leader for several years.
I was able to go visit in Sandy for a few days again.
At this sad time Kristen and Jim had lost our home, due to the several and extreme surgeries Kristen has had. We were all sad and worried for them. And what would I do now!?
At Carolyn’s request, I made a flag for her four children. (NOTE FROM CJC: I did THAT in the midst of all that was going on? WHAT was I thinking?)
APRIL
Rickell took me again to Sandy. We watched General Conference to see President Monson sustained the new Prophet, due to the death of Pres. Hinckley. “I pray for you – please pray for me”
While there, Mary’s Indian Uncle entertained us with a historic film and chanted a prayer. It was interesting. Carolyn and Von brought me home and we went on up to Carl’s to visit. Then we had our “Girl’s Gathering” at Kristen’s for crafts. We also went to the Idaho Falls museum of Egyptian History. Present were Von, Carolyn, Kanda, Maureen, Robyn, Brandy, Rickell, Jerda, Kristie, Mike, Sarah, Kristen, Laney and McKay.
We were all sad that Carl had been unable to get a job, and so angry that RDO had transferred him to Idaho to manage the plant here, let him build the new home, then fired him and others.
I could go see McKay dance in a talent show with five friends. I was crocheting little angels to give each family member for Christmas which I’ve done for about ten years.
I was cooking dinner for Kristen’s family and e each Fast Day and invited Rickell also. I spent several days at Carl’s and Laree’s. I went to McKay’s dance recital.
Now our home was being auctioned off. Jerda and Kirk hoped to purchase it. Rickell arranged for me to come live with her. Carolyn and Von and the others gathered all my things to put in storage. It had been my home for 68 years.
I spent another visit with Carolyn and Von. We rode the new “Front Runner Express Train.” My mind was constantly on losing the home and concerned for Kristen and Jim, and wondering what they would do. Pray, I thought. “How can I be so sad when everyone is so good to me?” Rickell insisted I live in her downstairs area as mine, and she would live upstairs. She made things comfortable for me. Many of the family came to help me move. Carolyn, Von, Phyllis, Rick, Jerda, Kirk, Rickell, Kristen, Jim, Trent, David, Maureen, Robyn and Josh. Carolyn and Von had it all boxed and labeled. I cried when I realized I’d never live with Kristen again.
I went with Rickell down to Sandy to see the School Bus Rodeo that Phyllis was in charge of. Rickell, with helpers, cooked the meal for hundreds of people.
Sometimes Laney would come to visit me, as her school is right by Rick ell’s back yard. Rickell and I again went to Sandy for a visit. Rickell took me to Trent’s High School graduation. He’s so good and handsome. I thought of that little boy who said when the Sacrament was passed, “No thanks, I’ve already had breakfast.”
Lanea and friend came to visit so I could teach her the afgan stitch. I’m including this because they taught me to make bags out of plastic grocery bags, which I’ve made dozens to give away and then taught a RS class.
I spent several enjoyable days at Carl’s. He was then to go to Japan to help develop a potato processing plant. A friend of Carl’s requested I make sixteen knitted dish cloths – she paid me $5.00 each!
Kristen and Jim got a house to rent, next to the Post Office. I was sad they wouldn’t be in our ward anymore, or be Visiting Teacher partners. She left a note saying “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” I just cried.
JUNE
I went to Utah to visit, could hold Kanda’s tiny four and a half pound baby, Brietta. And Steffan’s cute baby. Back home again, Carl called to tell me little Brietta had died. A sad time. All my children except Dale attended the funeral. Brietta was so tiny in her casket, wearing the dress I had crocheted for her. Many people attended the funeral.
Maureen organized our Annual Family Reunion at Lava Hot Springs. I want to list all who were there.
Von, Carolyn, Mary, Fred, Jude, Jady, Kanda, Roy, Andrew, John, Kyle
Maureen, Bryan, Brandy, Robyn, Kay
Carl, Laree, David, Michael, Marisa, Reece, Maya, Mason
Phyllis, Rick, Rickell, Damian, Brecken, Baylie, Brynley, Breegan, Bladen, McKay
(Kristen’s family was at Youth Conference except for McKay.
JULY
We were still awaiting the outcome of THE HOUSE situation. I was contented at Rickells. All the family viewed the wonderful fireworks on July 4th. “Best in the West.”
One day I went with Maureen and Kristie to the Rexburg temple. The meeting was different, in that we didn’t move from room to room and sat more than standing. Carl had another of so many surgeries.
On July 17th, I was treated to a wonderful trip to Las Vegas by plane to see Donny and Marie at the MGM Grande Hotel. Also, the wonderful “Dancing Waters.” Attending were Phyllis, Jerda, Rickell, Brecken and friend, and Misty and her mother. They pushed me in a wheelchair to see the sights. One day I went with Phyllis’ family to Demolition Derby. In the Grandstand, young women were throwing out free T shirts to the spectators. A fellow in front, trying to catch one accidently shoved me really hard, knocking my breath out. He was sorry, kept asking if I was OK, then gave me the shirt, decorated with “Miller’s Light” (beer). “Oh thanks. I will wear it to church tomorrow.” As they left, one said, “Be sure to wear that to Church.” I decided not to! We all attended Maureen’s Ward to witness Jason blessing their new baby, Odin. Then to dinner at Maureens. On the 29th, I went to Sandy to visit a few days, was able to witness Reeces’ baptism and confirmation.
AUGUST
I went with Maureen and Brandy to the new Twin Falls Temple open house. A nice fellow pushed me in a wheelchair all through, as they did other visitors. Our church does everything perfectly. Maureen and I were doing Initiatory work once or twice each month.
Dale and LeAnn came to Idaho, so good to have them with us. Rickell took me to Utah to attend Dale’s Allen’s wedding, and a nice shower for Catherine, who we fell in love with quickly. We also attended their reception.
I recorded in my journal how many requests I was getting for the plastic bags from grocery bags. Carl, at this time, was diagnosed with diabetes, and very ill, but receiving treatment.
Shayne came to Maureen’s to visit, carrying a big box on the plane, with a gift of a beautiful doll for me, made by Molly’s mother. We were meeting together often to watch the World Olympics in China.
SEPTEMBER
Laree came one day to take me to visit. Along with David and Leighanne, we canned 36 quarts of peaches. We then attended the State Fair in Blackfoot, myself in a wheelchair. We were all interested in the Presidential Conventions on TV and 9/11 remembered. I had my turn for dinner with my Home Evening friends. I went to
Carl’s to visit and hear David and Leighanne speak in Sacrament meeting.
I went to Sandy to visit, always enjoyable with the two families. Carolyn, Von, Phyllis and Rick were still filling their assignment at the Utah Sate Prison. Carolyn and Von were also fulfilling their Mission at the Genealogical Library in Salt Lake.
All the while, we were all awaiting the decision on the old home, whether or not Jerda and Kirk could purchase it.
OCTOBER
One day, we drove up to see the new Draper temple under construction, and to the Pumpkin Patch Floral and Garden shop. Phyllis and Rick took me to Malad to go home with Jerda and Kaleb, who took Laney and McKay to Sandy to visit, as they were out of school for spud harvest.
On the 10th, Maureen, Robyn and I went to Sandy to attend our “Girls Gathering.” Twelve of us went to the Temple to do many sealings – names reserved by Carolyn. Four little heretofore unknown half sisters of Maurice’s father were sealed to their parents. Attending were Von, Carolyn, Maureen, Michael, Marisa, Kristie, Michael, Gardners, Roy, Kanda, and myself.
All of us ladies donned our elaborate witch’s hats and went to Gardner Village to shop, then to Phyllis for dinner. Then I returned home with Jerda, Laney, and McKay.
One day Dale called me from Russia, being there on work assignment.
I had a nice 85th birthday, going to lunch with Kristie and Michael, and to dinner with Maureen and Bryan. I received many calls and gifts from all the family. Maureen and I attended the Temple to do initiatory names researched by Carolyn. Rickell and I were visiting teacher partners at this time.
One evening Trent came with his friend Dupher, and two Missionaries to teach him. I had refreshments for them, but stayed in my room. Later, Trent had the privilege to baptize Dupher. Rickell and I went to Sandy for a visit.
NOVEMBER
Election Day. Barack Obama won. I didn’t feel good about having a non-Christian President. I spent four pleasant days at Carl and Larees. Our Ward Bishopric was reorganized – Scott Searle, Jay Stoddard, Tom Tueler. I made eleven rugs from plastic bags to give for Christmas,
Carolyn called from California where all their family were at Disneyland. On the 24th, many came to surprise me and tell me Jerda and Kirk had bought the old home. Kaleb handed me the key to the house and said, “I’m going to live with you.” What wonderful news!
I went with Carl and Laree to Grand Forks for Thanksgiving and Chris and Tasha’s wedding. Christ took us to see his school where he teaches. His room decorated with the Wizard of Oz theme.
DECEMBER
I helped Maureen decorate a Christmas tree for the Blackfoot Community Tree Festival. Several of us went to Blackfoot to see “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” which Maureen took part in. The girls took me several times to take things out to the house.
I had crocheted 70 little angels for the family for Christmas. Phyllis and Rick came, and their family did much in the house before I was to move in. They painted all the rooms, shampooed the carpets, got a new fridge, built new book shelves. I was to move in by New Years Eve.
Rickell and I went to Sandy for Christmas, had a lovely time. I was so grateful and happy for all that had been done to help me, by my precious children – all of them so good to me.
Rickell and I went to Sandy for Christmas, had a lovely time. I was so grateful and happy for all that had been done to help me, by my precious children – all of them so good to me.
STATISTICS for 2008
Visiting Teacher Supervisor
100% Visiting Teaching
Read the Book of Mormon twice (37th time).
Crocheted six flags, forty thousand stitches each. (NOTE FROM CJC: I think she crocheted more than six. I thought she mentioned flags for all Dale’s children, and mine.)
Crocheted 20 “bag” bags, 12 rugs
I remember the important lessons taught me by my loving parents. The special times with my brothers and especially my dear sister, Adah, who taught me much, and made life fun and precious so many ways. I know I will see them again. Soon?
I remember you (family), you’re the ones who made my dream come true.
I remember you’re the ones who said “I love you too.”
Didn’t you know.
I remember too, a distant bell, that fell, like a star out of the blue.
When my life is through
And the angels ask me to recall the thrill of it all,
Then I will tell them I remember you.
No comments:
Post a Comment